Aeroplane on a conveyor belt puzzle

Guest Nomad

Guest Maj Millard

Ok if it worked, would it be at full brightness ??

And years ago a Mirage did shoot itself down with it's own cannon round, as the round slowed (normal air resistance) the Mirage, travelling slightly above UL speed, caught up and injested the round resulting in loss of the aircraft.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we try this?

An aircraft travelling at 400mph, fires a bullet forward through a gun which statically has a muzzle velocity of 1200 mph , What is the actual speed of the bullet as it leaves the gun muzzle when fired in the situation above? Nev

True story about the Mirage shooting itself down, although not quite the way it has been told here. The incident happened around 1979 - 80 at the Dutson bombing range. The Mirage pilot came in sub-sonic in a dive firing his cannons, then went supersonic, continuing the dive before pulling into a steep climb. When he went supersonic, the Mirage overtook his rounds and shot himself down while climbing out. The aircraft crashed into a swamp and is now buried in 20 - 30 feet of mud. The aircraft was never recovered because of the unexploded ordinance. The pilot ejected without serious injury.

Ok if it worked, would it be at full brightness ??

It would be at full brightness, but I think the light waves would be squashed together from the doppler effect and blue-shifted higher up the electromagnetic spectrum. So somebody at the airport watching you would probably get a burst of x-rays or gamma radiation rather than see a beam of light.040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif040_nerd.gif.818f42a429bd433d10428d88b6b4d49f.gif 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Peter

Bullet velocity.

Kinetic energy is velocity squared. That is the clue. The total amount of energy remains the same. You cannot directly add (or subtract) velocities. Keep at it. It's straight physics and there is no trick. Sorry Maj and Destiny. I got caught away for quite a few hours, and couldn't get back to you. Nev

Enough .

There is enough information there already. I didn't give you a formula for Kinetic energy merely pointed out that it is relates to velocity squared. I probably should have started a new thread, but the thread has wandered around somewhat. I am interested in peoples views. It's not a contest. Nev

relativity

Nah, not a competition.

Are we discussing the velocity or kinetic energy of the bullet and in relation to the aircraft or a stationary object?

What if a tail gunner fired a round straight out the back? Would it have the KE to down a persuing aircraft or would it just drop on the head of an ASIC inspector walking around near the airfield gate?

Curious minds.....032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif