What is an "unstoppable landing"?

flying dog

Guest rocketdriver

Same here ....missed the power lines (under), the barbed wire fence (over), and then saw the tree trunk heading my way ... so removed hands from the bottom rail of the bar and "landed" u/c up .... bent the A frame where my side hit it ... OUCH ... Those were the days!

(Looking back, I realised that this was all a result of some very poor decision making and circuit planning occasioned, as I later realised, by dehydration)

RD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Looking back, I realised that this was all a result of some very poor decision making and circuit planning occasioned, as I later realised, by dehydration)

RD

I presume you were suitably re-hydrated at the nearest watering hole after that effort.

Guest rocketdriver

Indeed KG..... in fact that was one of my many stupid decisions on the day ... I chose a paddock as close to the pub as possible so I could be the first one in the bar. I ended up cross wind, on a slope in a pocket hankerchief sized plot after it became clear that my chosen paddock was full of 12 ft high poles for supporting hops, not tall thistles as I had thought when still at height .... (when did you EVER see regular rows of thistles ....... it was in the VERY early days of XC hangliding and I was VERY thirsty!)

RD

Headlands Hotel on south coast. overshot landing area thru car park clipped 'keep left' sign on pole ended up in drive thru. bought 6 pak.

Had a few interesting landings on early XC on hang gliders.Remember one of the Loughborough lads doing a blinder and thinking he will land in the sheep paddock below hang on these sheep are yellow oops it was a Lion park. Quick change of plan cant remember his name sandy Nicholls would know.

Dave

Headlands Hotel on south coast. overshot landing area thru car park clipped 'keep left' sign on pole ended up in drive thru. bought 6 pak.

Crikey They should have shouted you the 6 pack after a hollywood like that.

Crikey They should have shouted you the 6 pack after a hollywood like that.

I flew quite a few Cohen competition gliders.(Hand me downs) they went like the clappers but handled like greased pigs. always had problems in tight areas with them.

I flew quite a few Cohen competition gliders.(Hand me downs) they went like the clappers but handled like greased pigs.

I only ever had one Steve Cohen design, a Chevron & nicknamed by all of my HG mates the Kevron. Handled really great. 110 degree wingovers were easy. Mind you I am not sure how well it would have flown upside down had the speed been a bit low. I saw one guy stop at the top of an attempted loop. Wasn't a pretty manoeuvre but he had a chute & used it.

I only ever had one Steve Cohen design, a Chevron & nicknamed by all of my HG mates the Kevron. Handled really great. 110 degree wingovers were easy. Mind you I am not sure how well it would have flown upside down had the speed been a bit low. I saw one guy stop at the top of an attempted loop. Wasn't a pretty manoeuvre but he had a chute & used it.

That may have been one of the last before Brian Fimmell took over and Steve (& I ) started on the first of the 'ultralights' from Brian it went the Duncan Bros, the rest they say is history.

[ATTACH]12943.vB[/ATTACH]

DSC02574.JPG.ddeabcada83e4acae04ede55eb210d66.JPG

I was reading an article not exactly on human factors I got from somewhere, This term was mentioned.What does it mean?

Well, I reckon it's a reference to the mind-set that some people have that prevents them from deviating from a particular course of action once commenced.

For a pilot, it's the inability to decide to do a go-around instead of persevering with the landing, for example. Even though their approach goes to crap and even though the cross-wind is gusting higher than their demonstrated x-wind max, they keep on coming.... CRUNCH!

It's the same thing that drives people to keep on heading towards and eventually into the clag rather than turning around while safe to do so... sometimes called "press on-itis".

kaz

Well, I reckon it's a reference to the mind-set that some people have that prevents them from deviating from a particular course of action once commenced.For a pilot, it's the inability to decide to do a go-around instead of persevering with the landing, for example. Even though their approach goes to crap and even though the cross-wind is gusting higher than their demonstrated x-wind max, they keep on coming.... CRUNCH!

It's the same thing that drives people to keep on heading towards and eventually into the clag rather than turning around while safe to do so... sometimes called "press on-itis".

kaz

Well put kaz.

Pud

Well, I reckon it's a reference to the mind-set that some people have that prevents them from deviating from a particular course of action once commenced.For a pilot, it's the inability to decide to do a go-around instead of persevering with the landing, for example. Even though their approach goes to crap and even though the cross-wind is gusting higher than their demonstrated x-wind max, they keep on coming.... CRUNCH!

kaz

Yep i think you got it there Kaz. what was that Garuda (?) incident a while back where the Cpt continued with the approach and landing even after the FO repeatedly called for a go around after being high and hot on finals. I think that that would fit this thread well.

I guess as my next new purchase after a bit of a gap was a Bandit. One of the great 30 percenters.

Hmmm one of Brian's. moving into the double surface varible nose angle, i think from memory. brian's factory was just around the corner from where i was building the first Lazairs by then.

can you give me a year on that?

(Sorry FD we hijacked a thread again.)

There used to be a concept in accident investigation circles where the term " Compulsive landing" was in vogue. This is where the pilot becomes "fixated' on carrying out the landing when a proper assessment of the situation would lead to the conclusion that the chances of achieving a satisfactory outcome are unlikely. It would be a "human factors" consideration. Nev

my apologies FH i did not realise there were so many replies to this thread. Sometimes i miss some due to pressure of time limits. short breaks at work ect. FH beat you Kaz so credit where due. Interesting how one realises these types of senarios for many years without knowing they have been catagorized and titled.

Ozzie

Very much a factor in the Garuda situation. The term was used in the early 70's when a DC-9 landed short of RWY 27 at Tullamarine in pretty wild weather. I was holding at the threshold for it to land and witnessed the whole event close-up. Naturally I was part of the investigation. Nev

Guest davidh10
Well, blow me down.I have gone back to the document and I can not find that term anywhere.

Am I going nuts? (Don't answer that)

Sorry folks. Dunno what I read or how I got "unstopable landing" in my head.

There's a movie playing at the cinemas called "Unstoppable" at the moment ?

Guest rocketdriver

Hi DJP ...great article ...thinking of the incident I related above, I found myself nodding as they describe the increasing complexity,time compression etc etc ..... and, on further thought, recognised the same effect on some of my approaches that I have (so far to date) succesfully rescued. Food for thought indeed ...... Should be a mandatory read for all .... I particulary liked the concept of "what am I missing here" as an alternative to the "normal" "how do I fix this" way of thinking. ...

Cheers

RD

my apologies FH i did not realise there were so many replies to this thread. Sometimes i miss some due to pressure of time limits. short breaks at work ect. FH beat you Kaz so credit where due. Interesting how one realises these types of senarios for many years without knowing they have been catagorized and titled.Ozzie

Sorry Nev... I saw the question and a couple of different views put on page 1, I think it was, and answered without reading the rest as they seemed to be going down a different path. Sorry I got you into trouble, Ozzie (it's a girl thing).

kaz

It's OK. I know my posts are boring.. I was trying to allow a serious answer and we got there, that is the main thing. I have this terrific sense of humour too, but only VERY ASTUTE people notice it....Nev