4G Broadband and GPS conflict

Guest davidh10
...What ever happened to Fibre to the Node? I though this was reasonably sensible and a bit of a surprise considering it came from the morons at Telstra. Presumably we would have had high speed without the expense of re-cabling / re-equipping every residence?

There were several issues with FTTN.

• HFC was more cost effective.

• You still had to cover the "last mile" with something. Radio was one of the potential technologies, and you know how people love radio towers in their neighborhood.

• xDSL was another last mile solution, but the size of local equipment and power needs versus putting it in an Exchange building was an issue, as were the speeds possible with xDSL at that time.

PS. This thread has come to resemble something you'd see on Whirlpool, rather then Rec Flying:cheezy grin:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs

Hey its really important to us flyers, after all the incredibly bloated area briefing's need significant bandwidth , and download cap... must be all those graphics and flash that are intersperced with weather and notams.

and then there's the next website upgrade for Ian. If no more bandwidth available how will he continue tinkering.....

On a serious note I use between 600mb and 1Gb of data per day working from home over a VPN back to work in Adelaide. While its true not eveyone will use significant bandwidth some of us do and without involving a bit torrent client on continuous leach

Andy

• 1 year later...

In response to the original post re frequencies used for GPS vs a proposed LTE implementation:

In Australia the frequencies in use are 850, 900, 1800, 1900, and 2100MHz. There are proposals to use the 700 and possibly the 750MHz by some telecommunications companies.

The original cited article pertains to a US proposal (~1500-1600MHz) which is not relevant to us. I am not even sure if we have their quoted frequency spectrum available in Australia (other uses?)

The "technology" should not be confused with the spectrum used, ie LTE can be on any frequency, and any frequency can be used for 2G, 3G, 3.5G (NextG, Telstra) and 4G (LTE).

Note that this was also the issue with the iPad3 with "4G", it didn't work on our frequencies.

I am still waiting for a non Telstra Carrier to put a spade in the ground and provide their own service rather than leaching off Telstra.

There is much out there about competition that needs to be looked at including having all brands of ATMs at airports so I don't get soaked with interchange charges.

Bigger fish to fry than Telstra out there. The provision of an NBN that will go everywhere rather than just the profit pockets will be good though.

Guest davidh10
I am still waiting for a non Telstra Carrier to put a spade in the ground and provide their own service rather than leaching off Telstra.

Do you mean, like Optus?
There is much out there about competition that needs to be looked at including having all brands of ATMs at airports so I don't get soaked with interchange charges.

I've long thought there is a plan in the siting of ATMs to maximise the opportunity for ripping customers off with interchange fees that bear no relation to actual cost
Bigger fish to fry than Telstra out there. The provision of an NBN that will go everywhere rather than just the profit pockets will be good though.

Except that is just exactly what they are doing.... Just focussing on CBDs... no fibre for regional areas, it will all be radio or satellite :-( Because of the Government's poorly thought out policy, I'll eventually have to give up my wireline broadband for radio or satellite that may be faster, but less reliable. I could get faster wireline broadband now, but don't actually need anything faster than ADSL-1. In fact, most businesses don't either. It is just another Pink Bats scheme.

Guest Andys@coffs
Do you mean, like Optus? I've long thought there is a plan in the siting of ATMs to maximise the opportunity for ripping customers off with interchange fees that bear no relation to actual cost Except that is just exactly what they are doing.... Just focussing on CBDs... no fibre for regional areas, it will all be radio or satellite :-( Because of the Government's poorly thought out policy, I'll eventually have to give up my wireline broadband for radio or satellite that may be faster, but less reliable. I could get faster wireline broadband now, but don't actually need anything faster than ADSL-1. In fact, most businesses don't either. It is just another Pink Bats scheme.

David

At the risk of getting on my box.......Your approach is only "todays approach" it provides no thought about the future...... Infrastructure such as the NBN is to me forward looking infrastructure that will allow a lot of things in the future that we dont consider the norm now. For example, city or country, the great majority of us get in gas guzzling cars to drive to a common work place calkled the office....... Why do that? in the future, as I do now, my office is my home I have full Video conferencing available to me along with my office phone and my office network. Quality of life is great.......I can see CBD's in my lifetime becoming much less important than they are now.......The top large consulting organisations (like KPMG) have already moved this way with the main CBD offices a fraction of what they formally were......just a small collection of communal desks that house whoever is in the offices on the day becausa of customer meetings etc....

There are many things to me that the NBN will change, or enable that we havent even considered yet....

I dont know this to be fact but I'll bet that when the snowy mountain scheme was being considered we probably didnt need the extra electricity capacity but someone knew it would be needed in time......

Pink Bats scheme........I done believe so, and even that scheme (PB) will have some useful benefits over time, in fact I suspect that in the future, ignoring the useful economic benefits it provided at the time, it will be judged as more useful than say building a heap of unwanted and duplicated school halls.....

Im not an inherent labour voter, in fact more often than not the reverse, but I'm very thankful that from time to time we have some brave pollies prepared to go a bit "out there" . And will be forevere greatful that they were in power when the GFC hit. had the reverse been true, labour in prior to GFC then teh coffers would have been empty and the lib approach would have been to spend nothing, in fact further contract what was being spent.

Andy

Guest davidh10

I don't argue that fibre is the future network, but the NBN, as currently proposed isn't the way to get there economically. Same with the pink bats. Too much collateral damage to achieve a little bit of good.