Synthetic Vision

Guest brentc

It will work at night because it's GPS based. In theory when technology catches up to safety requirements you could fly in blanket cloud through the tightest valley with this technology in complete safety.

It's actually being done now at one airport overseas in a specific operators fleet of 737's. They fly through a valley on approach at low level in complete automation. Without it, they can't get to the low altitude required due to the near year-round cloud cover.

It's the way of the future and I want one!

Waiting for the maps for Australia may take a while too.

Guest pelorus32

Interesting thing is that this photo or one very like it appears on the Dynon website as an example of a customer panel. As Dynon is non-certified this means it's likely to be an LSA or experimental a/c!

Regards

Mike

Interesting looking system. I wonder if its just a pc with terrain height data pulled down off the net (cant remeber the gov site which hosts it), then co-ordinate and direction data grabbed from the gps system. or maybe gps and electronic compass.

I dont know that i'd want to rely on it to navigate through canyons in the middle of the night, but it might be a useful as an aid - especially if you could scroll around through the terrain.

I imagine most of that cost would actually be the software, and perhaps licensing of the topographical information if they didnt use a free source. After all people build pc based car computers all the time for a few thousand.

Guest brentc

This aircraft would pass as NVFR but not IFR as has been suggested the Dynon is not certified. A Dynon however is approved for NVFR in experimental.

Based on the RPM range this aircraft appears to be Continental or Lycoming powered.

As much as this dash is legal for night flight I would hesitate as there is little or no redundancy, no VSI and no turn coordinator (other than on the Dynon). It does appear to have one of those auto-adjusting cool ASI's that calculates TAS on the fly although the Dynon will do this anyway.

Certified Jabs are shipping with Dynons if you pay for it, however it's a secondary VFR instrument though. Cheaper than AH, DG and Vacuum pump, or atleast quite competitive.