A smidgen of Tassie from the Air

Tomo

Went to Tassie the other week for a conference, but made a holiday outa it and stayed for a week, ended up doing 2072klm, just looking around at different places. The weather was great, and as I couldn't stay on the ground in such good weather, I managed to get a few flights in!

First was in the R44 around Cradle Mountain area -

Went and Checked out a mates new plane he was making - a "Hatz Biplane" This is one of the wings in production.

He does an amazing build job on everything

His Scout

One of his completed projects - 1929 design Pietenpol - A beautiful aircraft

I loved the mag switch!

Dual ignition Ford Model A engine

He makes his own props too!

I was lucky enough to get a ride in it, that was pretty cool!

Then last but not least, good O'l Qwerty took us for a run around George Town and the area...

My brother who is a bit of a photographer went up with him and they did some shots with the door open... here's just a couple of them from Him:

Here are some of his shots of the various flights as well - much better photos than mine, and he has let me show them to you, so here are a few more:

The office of the Pietenpol:

Wheels

Different views...

Myself and my Brother (Brady - aka Iconindustries)

And just showing The Nut and Stanley - a Panorama

Looking towards Cradle Mountain

On The Nut

Yeah, so there are a few views of Tassie... and as I said to one lady at a shop when I got there... I'm glad you take Aussie dollars. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Interesting (lack of) forward view from the Pietenpol. You'd think they could have found somewhere else to put the radiator. Beautifully made though, isn't it?

Thanks Dazza, I'll pass on the credit!

Well I thought it a bit strange too Gnome, but the view was pretty good once in the air, considering. And like any aircraft like that, you look down the side on landing, slipping it in to see where you're going. Very nicely built I can assure you!

Hi Tomo

Love the photos and love Tassie as a place to visit in summer.

My next trip will probably be mid-year to NW WA to see my old station before I croak but I also hope to do the island hop to the south next time the weather settles down again.

kaz

The Piet. has the original motor by the looks of it. (Ford "A"). That's where the radiator went. It's a classic plane. Some use the Chev. Corvair flat 6 air cooled. ( much later and lighter engine, but might not swing the large dia prop that the Ford would. You sure get around Young Tomo. Make the most of it while you can. Nev Nev

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

Steve... go for it mate! It's a great little place, and quite affordable to get there too. Hire a car and you're set. If I can do it, anyone could!! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif