You know you're a Pilot when...

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Guest SAJabiruflyer

... when you plan overseas holidays and spend the majority of time at Airport Viewing Areas, writing registration numbers in ur notebook. (no not me, friend does that!!)

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Get in trouble with ur wife when driving near the flight path of YPAD and instead of watching the road, u watch the planes coming in

... stop halway up the stairs when boarding a Tiger flight from Melbourne to Adelaide, because you can see an A380 coming into land

Guest ozzie

you fly Tiger. Ha ha. My dopey Boss saw a bargain the other day to Melbourne flight never left. He had to race the crowd over to the other mob who instantly put their fares up 50 bucks.

His 39 dollar bargain ended up costing him 250 dollars.

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Yeah lol, I flew Tiger. Once. The flight cost pretty much the same as JQ or Virgin, after the fee's and charges, and the landing at YPAD actually scared me, with several people screaming in fear. We were thrown rapidly left/right in our seats, felt really uncomfortable. Never again.

When you 'flare' you coffe cup when putting it down on the bench

Haha! I do that with my dog when I place her on the ground... I make sure she lands on the rear mains first, then carefully put the nose down! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest davidh10
...And keep looking at the weather, clouds, wind etc. Silly.

Not so silly. I resemble that remark! Observing weather phenomena and learning more about the realm in which we fly is eminently sensible.

Have you looked at or joined The Cloud Appreciation Society? I ordered their Cloud Spotter's Handbook the other day. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Guest davidh10
Hey David...I'm a member of the CAS too!!

Wasn't actually a member, until about 20 seconds ago (you have inspired me further), but tripped over the web site about a year ago, have visited it often, and decided to order the "Cloud Spotter's Handbook" last week, as I think it will help me better identify a broader range of clouds and understand their characteristics. There's now 1403 members in Australia.

My CFI always points out different cloud formations and talks about their characteristics and what they mean to a pilot.

I took a couple of really nice photos of some Pyrocumulus clouds last week. I had one just starting to form as I flew past it, which was also interesting. It is one of the ones, pictured. You can see them currently in the home page of my Redbubble photo site (linked in the signature below).

• 1 year later...
.. as you drive around your home town, you no longer see farmers paddocks - you see emergency landing areas. You also time how long it takes your car to get from one end of a paddock to another.. and estimate how long the paddock is and work out if you can land there. I think I need to get a life... 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I like the one about watching crash videos all night. Gives you a sense of superiority. BTW how do you reply without dragging down someone elses post?

Running the heaters here on Jet A1, just like the smell!

Be aware that some of the additives are not good for you, especially when burned indoors.

Be aware that some of the additives are not good for you, especially when burned indoors.

Yeah, was wondering about that M61. Do you know if it is any worse than the kerosene I would otherwise be using at home or the diesel I would be heating with at work?

Yeah, was wondering about that M61. Do you know if it is any worse than the kerosene I would otherwise be using at home or the diesel I would be heating with at work?

I was told some years ago that some people (mainly refuellers- they did large fuel drains daily) in the RAAF, were using it in kero heaters at home, they were all advised not not to as some additives were carcinogenic, I think in particular the FSII. Still, when you're on the flight line you breathe it in constantly. May serve you well to do further research, for peace of mind either way.

Guest ozzie

I worked around Jet A hot refuelling and the fumes are really bad for your long term health. When it is not burnt at the normally high temps it is even worse as it would be in a heater. Fully flued?