Stewart Systems for Fabric work

The Stewart System for fabric work looks to be worth investigating. Having read up a little on it, and viewed the videos on Youtube, I've come to the opinion that this system could have advantages to us in Australia for the following reasons:

1. The products are not classed as Dangerous Goods. This means that the cost of transporting them around the country will be a lots les than those associated with nitrate and butyrate based glues and dope.

2. Because the products do not give off volatile and flammable vapours, they are more environmentally friendly, and safer to store and use in residential premises.

3. The products seem to be supplied in a concentrated form, and diluted with water for use. This method of supply would seem to be the reason for the comparatively high cost per gallon/litre compared to dope, but at the same time, could also reduce transport costs.

Whether the product is as good as, or better than the traditional dope will be discovered from testing the product under Australian conditions. To this end, I'm negotiating to get a trial pack to give it a run on a test panel.

If you want to have a look at the system, here is the link

http://www.stewartsystems.aero/

A supplier who supports recreational fliers and homebuilders (not QED Aircraft Parts & Hardware) seems to have made arrangements to import the products, but it is early days yet. I'll leave it to that company to pay for the advertising here.

Old Man Emu

I have ordered stewert Systems eko primer, etch and cleaner for my RV 4. They look like a great company.No Hazmat, helps alot with import.The only thing is that the primer even when a couple of years old, will come off with MEK. I not worried i wont be flying through MEK rain anytime soon.

I'm using the full Stewart Systems for my RV-12. So far I've used the cleaner, acid etch and the primer/sealer. It all works as claimed and the primer sprayed on beautifully - and I'm a novice spray painter. And I can do it at home in my plastic sheeted "spray booth" as its all water based - no nasties to breath in or get into the environment.

Good stuff . . .

I would also like to add that Dennis (Denmit) got me onto Stewart Systems. As I was looking for a primer, that didnt have to be Top Coated.(Weight Issues).Zinc Chromate is another one that doesnt need to be top coated but is nearly impossible to get, and It will kill you, if not using PPE (pity they didnt say anything in the RAAF when we used to spray it out of rattle cans back in the day without any PPE)

Thanks Mate.

You're most welcome Dazza - that's what these forums are about. I also found the NZ agent (Rollinson Engineering trading as Hunter Hills Aviation) efficient and helpful with technical stuff like the quantities needed and nozzle sizes, etc.

I can get a sample kit for $45. I'm going to hold off until some more coins fall into my coffers. Then I'll get a kit and do some testing.

To hasten this process, please purchase lots of stuff from QED hardware 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

OME

There is a chap in Queensland who is going to become the agent for the system. I'll buy it from him if I decide to. Don't forget I work for a maintenance facility that does a lot of fabric work.

OME

Mine was sent about a week ago direct fron suppliers.Should be here any minute.Postage $180 US. Thats for a Gallon of ecko primer, Qty 4 acid etch.Also cleaner cant remember the quantity.Anyway their postage/cost will be added from the local supplier to you , but maybe cheaper if they order a container load on the stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

The Eco prime is better than I thought.lol Painted some parts today.I have it on my hands and being a plumbertried to wipe it off with MEK, it wont take it off my hands. Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Escadrille

MEK on your hands! NOOOOOO:no no no:

Dazza that stuff will cause you grief, read the MSDS ..

MEK on your hands! NOOOOOO:no no no:Dazza that stuff will cause you grief, read the MSDS ..

Good to here from you mate.Yeh I have read the MSDS, I have also splashed it in my eyes.Doesnt blind you like people say.LOL.It isnt as bad as the MSDS says.It is bad for you though.( I wouldnt drink it) Im have been a Commercial Pool Plumber for the last 12 years.(Aircraft Tech before that) I use it every day. I used to use it with a rag on my bare hands for the first five or so years, since then i have used a brush.Guys I know still use a rag dipped in the cleaner have been doing it that way for 25 years or more.(to clean/etch Pipe before gluing)Plumbers after touching it every day for 20 odd years can get bad blood tests.(Im more concerned about the glue,we cant smell it after a year or so, if people walk into a plant room that im plumbing, they say "wow that stuff stinks", Im like "what smell".

PS- When in the RAAF, we used it and they said "If you get it in your eyes you will be blind in 4.5 seconds". Thats BS, i have got it in my eyes on alot of occasions.It stings for less than half a second.

Anyway- How have you been mate, we have been worried about you?

• 5 weeks later...
I would also like to add that Dennis (Denmit) got me onto Stewart Systems. As I was looking for a primer, that didnt have to be Top Coated.(Weight Issues).Zinc Chromate is another one that doesnt need to be top coated but is nearly impossible to get, and It will kill you, if not using PPE (pity they didnt say anything in the RAAF when we used to spray it out of rattle cans back in the day without any PPE)Thanks Mate.

Hi Dazza

I've just had the welds on a skyfox's (tail dragger) main undercarriage legs checked and some new welds done, then the steel tube was prepared and primed in two pack primer. Have you any recommendations on what fabrics would be good to use and then paint the the fabric for this area?

Cheers

Mike