Beware the passenger

Guest SAJabiruflyer

That's true. I actually had a list with over 30 people on it. So far - i've taken my wife. Once.

Congrats, much as I enjoy puttering around alone, having someone to share the experience with is pretty special, it's never the same trying to describe things to people on the ground afterwards. My son claims the rhs most of the time, but you'll find that people you never expected to have an interest, will come out of the woodwork if you wait long enough. A colleague that I didn't know very well admitted to an interest after hearing me enthusing about my weekend, in the kitchen at work. He claims to have enjoyed his flight no end and may well start lessons soon. Another one corrupted!

Guest SAJabiruflyer

I have to keep in mind that the bumps and noises and movements that I consider normal are not neccessarily normal to a Pax. My Wife admitted feeling a bit green at the end of the flight. It's weird, I used to feel quite uncomfortable flying commercial, particularly during t/off and landing, with any turbulence having me holding my seat tight. Now, I like it rough! It's something I will have to keep in mind next time I go up with a Pax, making sure I ask them how they are feeling during the flight

Pete, I apply similar principles to nervous boat/yacht passengers; explain briefly what you are going to be doing and how it may make them feel, keep them involved, eg look out and above all keep it smooth and predictable. Even for youngsters looking for a thrill ride, remember that it is an alien environment and for some of them the fact that they have no control over their fate is something that takes a little time to get used to.

Hi JabiruFlyer. Passengers come in so many different variants. When I was running my flight school (in Canada), I took out a young kid (~17). He was bored with the whole flight, even when handling the controls, until I pulled a 60+ degree steep turn and then into a power stall. All he said was 'cool'. Another person threw up on me when the plane hit a tiny ripple. And some of them fool me by not having any problems and others do the opposite. A good point about we the pilots not really noticing anything out of the ordinary. But then it is not ordinary for them.

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Yes GDL ur spot on. The only thing I noticed with my Wife was she went quiet, very quiet, during the last 10 minutes of flight. Having spoken with a couple of instructors it seems this is one of the warning signs. It's something I'll keep working on wheneverI take Pax up (of course, once those said Pax are finished doing all the odd jobs that make them too busy to fly, jobs that only came up once I got my Cert haha)

Hi JabiruFlyer. My ex did not like to fly at all. I think her screaming gave it away the most (ands the bruise marks on me). I fact our dog was the most comfortable of all flyers. Look up, look out, go back to sleep. Tell me more about this 10 minute quiet period. I have not heard that.

Guest davidh10

A passenger that goes quiet or stops communicating is a warning sign that for them, things are probably not going well. Rather than ask if they are feeling sick, you could ask if they are enjoying the flight, or whether they would like to go back to the aerodrome and land.

The time to brief them on airsick strategies is before takeoff.

Hi Hildy. What did I do about the dog? My Rans S6 has a small baggage area behind the seats. He lay in there, held in by the top cover. Very comfortable. and he made no noise - whimpers or barking or anything. He would just go to sleep. I thought about muffs (love the muttmuff FlyTornado), but he didn't like anything on his body. One of those naked type dogs.

Interesting about passengers going quiet and therefore all is not well. I did not realize that. I have found as some of you mention that keeping them busy looking around tends to keep them from being sick. I always briefed my passengers. Worked most of the time, and only 2 sick in 5-6 years. Now, there was the person I was instructing as an instructor ...

I would just like to add.Dogs hearing is alot better than ours.We hear around 20Hz to 20 000Hz.They hear from 40Hz to around 60 000 Hz.They also hear a sound around 4 times the distance than we do.They will go deaf if surrounded by noise where we dont seem to mine .Just a thought.

PS- Im not a VET , but my family used to breed different breeds of dogs when I was a young fella.(I wish I was a Vet I can hear the register going KA CHING.)

Just Joking, it would be a terrible job, putting peoples love ones to sleep.

Guest SAJabiruflyer

There are so many lines here... "its the only way to get my wife to be quiet" hahahahahaha. But I digress. Ignition and David - your comments are excellent and will be used to help me next time I take a Pax up. For this flight, the sickness part of the briefing consisted of "if you feel unwell just tell me" but I guess not everyone - even my lovely wife - will fess up if they are not feeling 100%

I'm very, very sorry to hear that. I feel for you mate, I really do.

LOL. I deleted my first post because I didnt know exactly what you meant.I saw your avatar Picture went you first put it on and I though.He looks just like me both cool looking dudes lol.