Beware the passenger

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Oh yes good looks and intelligence there. It's funny you deleted your post - my wife often doesnt know what I mean and wishes to delete me altogether! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Hang on we're supposed to be talking aviation. Err.. my Avatar is a shot I took somewhere over the Coorong whilst flying a 230, prolly at 2500ft coz im too scared to go lower in case of "difficulties"

Having had one nightmare flight where three passengers all threw up after one told the others she was going to, then landing at Mount Gambier so they could clean up, then having it all happen again after they bought meat pies while I was refuelling, then trying to fly with my nose stuck through the little Cherokee hatch, I don't raise the "airsick" word, just tell everyone they will get the most out of the flight and feel most comfortable if they continually look out toward the horizon. Works every time (fingers crossed)

In my younger days as an air cadet in Guernsey an RAF pilot asked me if I had ever been airsick when I climbed onboard a Percival Prentice aircraft for a 'JOY' flight. I told the truth and said "never" to which he replied you will be today. Without going into graphic descriptions, he made me sick. It did not stop me flying but I was sick practically every time I flew after that. Being aware of what happened to me I never take a first time passenger unless the weather is perfect and I always explain that I am going to make their flight as enjoyable as possible. I tell them that I am not going to show off what the aircraft can do and I am certainly not going to show off what I can do, so if for any reason whatsoever you are not really enjoying the flight, then just tell me and we shall return to the airfield.

I have only ever had one sick passenger who became sick after 30 minutes of flying because we hit unexpected turbulence.

Alan.

I nearly threw up doing Aero,s in a Yak 52 with Barry Hemple.I told him I wasnt feeling the best,he was onto it before I said anything as you guys has mentioned I went quiet.It was the first hour I had done doing any aerobatics.Straight and level saved the day, that day.I was still not feeling well for a fare while after the flight.

Hang on we're supposed to be talking aviation. Err.. my Avatar is a shot I took somewhere over the Coorong whilst flying a 230, prolly at 2500ft coz im too scared to go lower in case of "difficulties"

Mine is a self portrait flying a Savage Cub in SE Qld.With Mobile phone.

Guest SAJabiruflyer

It's really uncanny seeing ur pic. If I didnt know better I would think I was looking in a mirror!!! Except my face is fatter haha. Too many pizzas when the wife is away

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Ha ha ha nope def not my Dad, but the poor bugger is a spitting image. I dont know how he goes through life, looking like that!! 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Pete, I apply similar principles to nervous boat/yacht passengers; explain briefly what you are going to be doing and how it may make them feel, keep them involved, eg look out and above all keep it smooth and predictable. Even for youngsters looking for a thrill ride, remember that it is an alien environment and for some of them the fact that they have no control over their fate is something that takes a little time to get used to.

I know someone who has no control over there fate even when they're driving. I'd better not say who, she'll take away my flying stash.065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

This is something that I've noticed in my flights, its one of the first signs that I'm not feeling well, all of a sudden I stop communicating, I then get a sinking feeling in my stomach, the color drains from my face, followed by sweats, Then dry mouth, then sweaty palms, If I get this far I am normally quite ill. Strange thing is that I get back on the ground, within 5 minutes I am fine, I get home and I'm on my back for a few hours and I feel a bit better after this, If anyone has a sure fire solution to getting rid of air sickness, I'll buy 10... But for now I just keep on at it...