Sydney, CTA and Transponder

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out the easiest way to go north (coastal) from far south coast NSW.

So first one has to get through the Nowra Naval airspace, and then there is Sydney and then Newcastle Naval airspace.

And then there may be the issue of terrain.

So far, when travelling north I have taken the inland route, but the fastest distance between two points is a straight line.

To get through the Naval airspace, does one need to be Controlled Airspace endorsed? Or can one just have a transponder?

Also, does controlled airspace require a transponder WITH ALTITUDE? Because I could pick up a cheap 2nd hand one on ebay otherwise, and then get a TSO altimeter and a PPL and be fine for CTA.

To get through Sydney, what is the rule there? I was told that you can take the designated route without a transponder or anything CTA?

Also, I have people I would like to visit in North Sydney, where would be the best airstrip in that area that I go to, land and park for a day or 2?

Thanks for your help,

Joshua

To go through CTA of any sort, you need an 'un-restricted PPL' for a start.

I'll let the more knowledgeable help you with the rest.

the Nowra Zone is usually deactivated on weekends, but there is a VFR lane you can use when its active, but you need a clearence, and PPL.

as for Syd, there are 2 options, the LOE to the west, which starts at Prospect reservoir and trvels north east to Patonga, max 2500 ft.

or there is V1, or victor one, coastal, max 500 ft, but its class G, starts at Jibbon point and ends at Longreef. no clearance required, but radio calls are. and a good lookout. either way you will be over water, or suburbia. as for Newcastle, there is the lane to the west, actually quite a nice flight, just follow the railway to taree from Maitland... or you can go the coastal route, but need clearance and PPL.

Thanks, seems to clear that up. As for now I think I'll just continue to go the long way around. Its not that much further and much better ground to be over just in case the motor has a 'Jabiru moment' :)

Nb, before i get flamed for that, just check the accident report almost every month for jabs that stop without warning. And you have a lot of time to think about it as the solid bush keeps coming...

Also, I have people I would like to visit in North Sydney, where would be the best airstrip in that area that I go to, land and park for a day or 2?

Strips around sydney are:

- Bankstown (GA only)

- Camden (GA only)

- The Oaks

- Warnervale

I'd say warnervale is about the same driving distance (1 hr) to north sydney as the oaks. quick taxi to the train station and a pretty cheap train into town ($11 return or $8 one way).

The northbound and southbound lanes are not the same, be careful there. (Parramatta to Patonga vs Brooklyn Bridge to Prospect).

Victor 1 is great but you do have to be over water at 500 feet.

Bankstown and Camden are both Class D. Somersby is not the easiest place to go, I'm not sure what the story is there now, wasn't it sold to people operating trikes?

There is a trike school at somersby, I believe.

Driving past on the freeway yesterday, somersby is 9 minutes closer to sydney than warnervale. I've never flown into somersby but from google maps it seems both can be found using IFR (the RAA sort!080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif)