Flying for commercial purposes...or not?

Is reimbursment by your employer for a flight considered unacceptable for a recreational pilot? My reason for asking is that my Government job requires occasional travel, for which I can be reimbursed at the applicable motor vehicle allowance rate. If I could negotiate to have motor vehicle allowance also paid for an aircraft which does the same trip, would that be unacceptable?

I've looked in the CAOs and manuals and can't seem to find a clear answer.

The short answer is no.

It would make finances a lot easier for most of us if we could.

There are a few dozen threads on this subject around in the aviation world, and some of these mention specifics on the legislation.

The clues should be in the amount of training you have to do to get from Recreational Aviation to Private Pilot Licence to Commercial Pilot Licence

The short answer is no.The clues should be in the amount of training you have to do to get from Recreational Aviation to Private Pilot Licence to Commercial Pilot Licence

It would not be legal for a PPL holder either.

rgmwa

When I checked some years ago with Government & Workcover requirements the minimum was "Charter" - could not even fly myself with a CPL unless the aircraft was chartered with the commercial insurance etc.

I seem to recall on one thread here that it would be alright for, say, a tradesman to fly to a job and be able to charge travel costs to the client. This opinion came from someone at CASA, but opinions only count when tested in court! I would suggest phoning them to make sure.

... Government & Workcover requirements ...

is the other side of the story.From that other thread you will see that being re-imbursed is not one of the criteria in CASA's regs.