Lake Eyre

I have done two trips over Lake Eyre in the last year in an Arrow. The closest licensed strips are, as far as I know, William Creek (34NM west of Halligan Bay) or Marree (about 60NM south of the southern end of Lake Eyre north). I have not stayed at either but stopped in at both for something to eat. William Creek's pub is a classic and well worth a stop. A couple we met described the accommodation as "interesting" but, who knows ... they might be precious. You can camp there. The strip is right next to the pub.

Marree has also has a pub that people stay at. Not sure about that one. The strip is maybe a kilometre or two's walk from the pub/roadhouse.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Accommodation at William Creek is good and the pub's fare is too! The roadhouse will supply you with mogas or you can get avgas from the Air Charter mob.

Make sure you have a look in the office at the Air Charter place as they run a sort of air traffic control arrangement. They have some fine Aboriginal artifacts there, too.

Lake Eyre is quite fantastic... enjoy.

kaz

I have been to William Creek the last two years.

With the attitude of manager(?) of the pub to our party of ten aircraft last year I personally, and the majority of the party, will never bother to give them any further custom.

The Lake is great, their attitude sucks...stay somewhere else!

Accommodation at William Creek is good and the pub's fare is too! The roadhouse will supply you with mogas or you can get avgas from the Air Charter mob.Make sure you have a look in the office at the Air Charter place as they run a sort of air traffic control arrangement. They have some fine Aboriginal artifacts there, too.

Lake Eyre is quite fantastic... enjoy.

kaz

Sorry Kaz,

Can't agree re accommodation, it's apalling especially as they're making heaps of money over the last 3 seasons & the accom is such poor quality. Room (shed) 7, I think, has the only ensuite available. Although the pub is an icon & the meals quite good they should put something back into improving the infrastructure.

Jake J