Trying on the Bantam B22................

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Maj - nicely done. I have always been fascinated by Bantams and wonder often how they would compare overall with the like of X-Air's and Drifters.

Windsor68 beat me to the punch - I too have often wondered about getting one from NZ, particularly with the exchange rate so favourable.

Interested parties might also take a look at the Recreational Aircraft Assn of NZ website which has a marketplace also. Always Bantams listed there. I imagine they would be pretty straight forward to pack into a container? The website is http://raanz.org.nz/wiki/pmwiki.php

Fairly similar to the ol "thruster" that i learnt to fly in many years ago, they werent a bad set of wings i guess cant see why these be any different, i see there is one for 9.5k on that site so that about 7.2AU so with freight you be flying for 10k that be pretty good value.

• Like 1

This is the website for these NZ built aircraft: http://www.microaviation.co.nz/products.php

The 6 minute video by the South African distributor is pretty good.

Specifications are as follows:

General characteristics

Performance

Guest Maj Millard

Sorry to hear that dazza. And I would agree john is a very capable pilot, I met him breifly during a stop-over in Ingham NQ when he was ferrying a bantam up to the Cape.

seb7701, I have flown both the Drifter and the X-air, and of the three you would put the Drifter an obvious first, the Bantam 2nd, and the Xair 3rd. Not to say the Xair is the obvious last. It is a fine aircraft also with good flying capabilities, the Bantam is very capable with stol performance, and well the ol Drifter is just a classic for sheer fun. Aren't we lucky for having such choice of great aircraft !.........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I met Max at the factory on his farm (airfeild) at Te Kowhai a couple of years ago when I was considering buying a Bantam. Max took the time to show me the operation and was only to pleased to answer any of my questions. Correspondence with him later on confirmed to me that the man was one of the good guys. RIP Max and very sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family and staff.

Anybody looking at importing used aircraft from NZ, including the venerable Bantam, the one-stop-shop for online classifieds and auctions here is TradeMe, http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/aircraft/aircraftWhen you search, remember what you call ultralights we call microlights, so search for microlight.

Hence, the company making the Bantams is known as Micro Aviation Limited.

• 5 months later...

Hope y'all don;t mind me kick starting this thread again, but considering Drifters, X-airs and Bantams, I am interested if anyone else has a opinion on these three, particularly in terms of flight performance and comfort (by rag and tube standards of course...). All thoughts appreciated.

The Bantam especially intrigues me as there are now several examples going cheaply in their home land which causes me to wonder what is involved in getting one over here. I know the USA to Aust shipping idea is not new, but perhaps NZ might be a reasonable $$?

Sorry to hear that dazza. And I would agree john is a very capable pilot, I met him breifly during a stop-over in Ingham NQ when he was ferrying a bantam up to the Cape.seb7701, I have flown both the Drifter and the X-air, and of the three you would put the Drifter an obvious first, the Bantam 2nd, and the Xair 3rd. Not to say the Xair is the obvious last. It is a fine aircraft also with good flying capabilities, the Bantam is very capable with stol performance, and well the ol Drifter is just a classic for sheer fun. Aren't we lucky for having such choice of great aircraft !.........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Just wondering, Maj, which X-Air you had in your comparison above?

There is the X-Air Standard (no flaps), X-Air F (with flaps) and the high performance X-Air H (sometimes known as Hawk or even the unfortunate name Hanuman). They all seem to have different specifications, hence my question.

I am guessing he meant X-Air standard, which is what I would be looking at. They look like a more comfortable machine than a Bantam, but I am thinking the Bantam may be a little less draggy perhaps?

Guest Maj Millard

G'day 80 kts, The Xair I flew was the standard-no flaps version with 582. I haven't had the opportunity to try the other two.....Tough choice between the Bantam and the standard Xair. At a pinch I'd choose the Bantam as being the better built aircraft, but then the Xair may be slightly ahead on all round performance 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif........really they are very similiar...............Cheers ...............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

For guys who maybe dont know.Max passed away a few months ago.He was the designer of the Bantam.RIP Max.

I knew Max for many years & first flew a weight shift Quicksilver from his airfield in 1980. He built a Turbulent back in 1968 & a Pitts Special in the 1970s. I used to sit on the veranda of my rented farm cottage nearby & watch him do some pretty amazing aeros in the evenings when the wind had died down. He got hooked on microlights and formed Micro Aviation in 1983. Just under 400 Bantams had been produced by the time he succumbed to cancer on the 12th of November 2011 at the age of 71. Bantams were exported around the world most notably to South Africa where over 100 were sold. His airfield at Te Kowhai (NZTE) near Hamilton was a place aviators of all persuasions would congregate and many aviation events were held there over the years. Over 1000 people paid tribute to his life at his funeral.

• Like 1

Damn Maj - I was afraid it would be a toss up between the two! I would prefer a drifter but have two little people that would like to sit next to Dad when they're flying. Interesting - I got the impression that the Bantam was the slightly more sophisticated craft, given the customers around the globe! Shame the X-Air looks a bit more flash.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes tough choice really, for nice enclosed rider comort probabily the Xair over the Bantam. Only one way to really find out , go for a ride in them both !....The Bantam that I flew for my report by the way is for sale in the latest magazine, it's still in good condition I believe....There is also a very nice kit-built Xair for sale up this way with very little time on it, but new price ...........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif