Trying on the Bantam B22................

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Did an Ultralight Condition Report yesterday on a Bantam B22S new to our area, and recently purchased by a local pilot, in used condition (320 hrs TT). It is a product from our NZ neighbours, and I believe imported mostly in the past, by John Mc Bride at Caboulture.

On arriving at Heathrow, (Ian and Julie Wells' field near Proserpine) I espied the Bantam covered by blue tarps, as it is being kept outside the hangar currently. I thought initially that it was a Flightstar, as the tail sticking out of the tarp was almost identical to the Flightstar.

On inspecting the aircraft I noticed many similarities to the Flightstar, and it is obvious that the Bantam is based on, and a further developement of the flightstar principle. That's not a bad thing at all, as the Flightstar range were good 'proper little aeroplanes' with excellant handling, and landing qualities. They emerged onto the US UL scene in the early eighties, were well designed and built, and marketed by the large parent company Pioneer. They sold well and were one of the first to be fitted standard with a ballistic chute. They raised the bar for UL aircraft at the time.

The Flightstars I flew during that period were powered by the Kawasaki 440 and later the 550.

They produced surprisingly good amounts of reliable power, for such small engines.

The solid construction methods using good aircraft -grade hardware, is also evident in the Bantam , with tail upper boom, and wings almost identical to that of the Flightstar range.

It's what is below the boom that makes the Bantam quite different, with a large two-place pod, large streamlined wrap-around windscreen, and full rear fuselage dacron fairing,with clear plastic view panels.

Other features on the Bantams are the two-position full-span flaps, and considerably beefier and well sprung landing gear.

I was offered a fly in the Bantam by the owner, so I took the opportunity to see what the Bantam was all about. Preflight was pretty easy with most items plainly in view. The uncowled blue-top 582 with 3-blade Brolga also easy to inspect, mounted Thruster fashion out front. The cockpit is roomy and comfortable, and the center mounter articulated stick falls to hand well. The easily accessed flap lever is overhead, and simply is either on, or off.. The fuel tap is also mounted overhead, and well labeled.

After engine warm up and general cockpit familiarization, I lined up on Heathrows' short strip, selected the only position of flap, and gave her the juice. After around 100 mts a little back stick raised the nosewheel and further backstick got us airborne fairly smartly. There is a good solid climb rate, and I straight away noticed the very solid and snappy handling qualities that I remember from the Flightstar.

There is some noticable pitch change when stowing the flaps but nothing too alarming. This aeroplane handles very well, with good solid tight-banked turns, requiring little rudder or pitch imput. I tried one stall with normal recovery after a bit of foward stick, and with no tendency to drop a wing. Fairly well behaved stall really.

Flaps out again, and slowed right down, she easily maintained 40 Kts indicated, with only small power imputs required to maintain controlled level flight.

There is still good roll control with the flaps out, due to the full span flaperons. When the flaps are deployed there is a noticable nose-down tendency, and it takes a solid pull backwards on the stick to maintain level flight.

I elected not to try below 40 kts, as she felt happy there, and quite manageable with small power imputs as required.

Ok with that sorted, lets see how she lands !. Approach was at 40 Kts indicated, with full flaps, and I was ready with the power should the nose show any tendency to want to drop on final, with quite a bit of back pressure held on the stick.

I had the power at idle well before the fence, and I was surprised just how well she kept her speed, power-off , which is no doubt a product of the steamlined cowl and windshield, and the relativly short wing span..

Touchdown was soft after a full flare, and only a few meters further on than planned. I had no problem holding the nosewheel up after landing, until it wanted to drop on, with plenty of elevator authority. The turning circle is not great while taxying, but is improved markedly with a burst of power to assist the rudder.

I hopped out more impressed than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised with the short takeoff and landing capability, (STOL !), and the solid feel of the aircraft all round. The full span flaps are a winner.

Although not the prettiest aircraft I have laid eyes on, if you can pick one up at the right price they would make a safe, and capable two place senic tourer, that will get you into and out of a pretty short strip, with good honest and responsive flying qualities all round....................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

That's good cfi, thought I'd share................................................................................Maj..

thanks also admin.......................... :thumb_up:

Guest Maj Millard

There's one in a past mag at $22,000, but I have seen them down to $16,000. Like I say not the prettiest thing to look at, but if your just looking for little senic, round-the patch 2-place cruiser that's strong and safe, they're not too bad to fly, and they do land short.

The aircraft condition report went ok, no probs...even had a flight manual !

Didn't grab any photos...but I will if I get the chance and post.

kudos for all the nice comments....................................................................................Maj...

Feel free to keep posting reports like that Maj - the Bantam is one of my favourite little flyers, even though all I ever did was a TIF in one a number of years ago.

Great read and write up!

good report Maj... I've always regarded the Bantam highly and particularly the undercarriage which is (for U/L's) uncharacteristically strong . I don't know what the cruise speed is fully laden. Surprised that there are not more of them around. Nev

I wonder what the cost/feasibility is off importing a Bantam from New Zealand... there are a lot for sale "over there"...

W68, A 20' container is around $2500.00 to Brissy plus wharf fees, Customs, Quarantine and GST etc.

You could probably get two Bantams in a 20 footer though. Google the NZ manufacturer Micro aviation.

Cheers

Guest Maj Millard

Yes if you could get them for a good price new, they would be a great first time aircraft for our new students. Ideal and cheap for building nav or pax endorsement time. Being solidly built to last, and with pleasant flying qualities they should also hold good resale value.

I didn't get a chance to explore the cruise speed capability, but I would guess it would be similiar to a 582 powered Drifter or Thruster, and possibly a little faster (60-80 Kts ?). The cockpit offers good comfort for two, and the visability through the large windscreen and downwards out the door is excellent..Mind you I flew a lot of the old rag and tube type Uls in the 80s, so I do have a bit of a soft spot for this type of aircraft..........................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Theres one in a hangar at Boonah, they are a nice looking machine.John got out of selling them, I beleive because they didnt sell well.Got no idea why though.Should have sold well.Back them they where around $30 to $33 thousand from memory.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes a bit pricey compared to say a good Drifter, and well, just not super pretty. But a good flying machine all the same at the right price if you can score one in good shape with low hours....( bet they do a good Haka also !)....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Hey I've also noticed that there is a Bantam support group listed in the RAA mag...(page 52 March edition).....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest nunans

Yeah they look like a good first aircraft, and a great write up maj btw, seems like there are plenty in nz but few available here and with no importer that's probably the way it will stay, But i guess there isn't really enough local buyers to make that a worth while venture.

The only thing against an aircraft like this for me is the open cabin and how cold it might be behind that screen in winter at 5000' or more. Can anyone give a bit of insight on year round flying in similar planes? how much gear do you have to wear or do you simply park them in the shed for six months of the year?

Guest Maj Millard

Nunans, I did find the cabin a bit brezzy during the short ride I had. It would be possible to put doors on this aircraft, even plastic zip-on ones that could be removed easily for Summer.

I flew in Northern california during the 80s in many open types without pods, year round, and very cold in Winter. We all used ski pants for lower warmth, and a good thermal jacket. Once you got rugged up properly it was quite cozy. Occasionally we used a woolen balaclava to protect the face in extreme cases..........glad you enjoyed the write up..............Cheers maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Ian.....................Did owner fly it on the weekend...what did his strip look like ?.............................Ross

This NZ Trade site is interesting... there is a lot more than just Bantams for sale too... if this is any indication it shows that our cousins have a thriving second hand aircraft trade.http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryListings.aspx?mcat=0001-1484-8698-

Great site with some very nice aircraft for sale. Pity it costs so much to ship them over here as I'm very drawn to the Bolkow 208c. Never seen one before. would it fit in our RAA regs?

Hi Ross

The owner didnt go for a fly, I think he was working on his strips. We went for a look at them both from the ground and in the air. The one next to his house is no good, power lines, trees, hills, etc but the second one is on top of a hill which may be ok, if a bit short. I did a couple of passes in Cab Sav but he had a tractor parked in the way and there are a couple of trees that need pruning before I can get low enough to check it out properly.

Ian

Guest Maj Millard

Well the Bantam is quite capable of a slow and short landing , but is the pilot ?....I find it requires a bit more skill to fly real slow, than to simply go fast........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 6 months later...
Guest Maj Millard

Nunans, In answer to your prev question. I would guess slowed right down with full flap you'd probabily get the bantam pulled up with brakes, in around 100-125 mts (solo). Possibly shorter if your really on the numbers. I've only done the one landing and I didn't pace out the distance of course, but the aircraft felt real good on short final and I'm sure with a few landings it would be landed real short..................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Nunans, In answer to your prev question. I would guess slowed right down with full flap you'd probabily get the bantam pulled up with brakes, in around 100-125 mts (solo). Possibly shorter if your really on the numbers. I've only done the one landing and I didn't pace out the distance of course, but the aircraft felt real good on short final and I'm sure with a few landings it would be landed real short..................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• Like 2