Streak Shadow

Hi All

Anyone know of any Steak Shadow aircraft in Victoria or South Australia that I might get to check out

Also anyone had any experience with these aircraft ?

RobertW

Guest Maj Millard

Robert, I have not flown a Streak Shadow myself, but I have watched them over a long period. They are built primarily using swandwiched composit board, so are very strong and light. A couple were flown from England to Australia in the 90s, one by a female pilot I believe. I am led to believe that they fly very nicely, and I wouldn't have much reluctance in flying one if I got the chance. Don't know just how comfortable the rear seat position would be, and the rear mounted prop needs to be multi-bladed and short, for adequet ground clearance. certainly worth a look, Main drama probabily would be getting the construction materials, should you do any damage to the structure...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Crezzi

I owned a Shadow DD for a couple of years - same (slightly wider) fuselage as the Streak but with longer wings to conform to the UK microlight rules. Awesome design, they fly exceptionally well & are one of the few designs of that era that still look good IMO. Some would argue they are more of a 1+1 - the back seat isn't is cramped as it looks but entry & exit is a bit of a struggle. One of the tallest instructors in the UK taught in them for years though so its not impossible. Amongst other record breaking flights both Eve Jackson & Brian Milton flew them solo from the UK to Aus in the 80's. About 400 built both as kits & from various incarnations of the factory. Incredible safety record with quite a few still flying esp in the UK and there are (or were) 2 or 3 around SEQld.

The UK CAA did ground them for a while due to concerns about the main undercarriage especially with the slipper tank fitted. The factory closed for the last time quite a few years back but a couple of people got approval for modifications to keep them flying. Also been a few problems with leaking fuel tanks suspected due to ethanol in fuel.

David Cook the designer has an auto-biography called Flying From My Mind which is a good read with lots about the history of the plane.

Cheers

John

G`Day Robert, I`ve flown a shadow........ It was purchased by a student of mine and housed here for a couple of years.

This particular one flew beautifully....... It was easy to fly and hard to stall.......Don`t know if they`re all like that,though.

I think this aircraft is still in the Cairns area and for sale.

Frank.

Gday Robert, a very good mate of mine flies a Shadow every weekend at Bathurst. It is very well known by all who fly out of there and most have been for a fly with Fred.

It is a very capable aircraft and climbs out like a home sick angel.

It,s only real short coming is that it,s not suitable for dirt strips as the pusher prop is low and very suseptible to stones coming off the front wheel or mowing any long grass.

Rear access is easy if your a contortionist or a small child. But it can be done with the odd cramp 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif

It also has exceptional range, (for the pilot) I wouldnt want to be in the back for anything over 1.5 tops.

If your near YBTH any week end, just ask anyone at the Aero Club or Central West Flying School and they,ll point you in Freds direction and he will happily take you for a fly.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/Aussie_Steve01/Bathurst%20Pics/03012009014.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/Aussie_Steve01/Bathurst%20Pics/03012009013.jpg

Gday Robert, a very good mate of mine flies a Shadow every weekend at Bathurst. It is very well known by all who fly out of there and most have been for a fly with Fred.It is a very capable aircraft and climbs out like a home sick angel.

It,s only real short coming is that it,s not suitable for dirt strips as the pusher prop is low and very suseptible to stones coming off the front wheel or mowing any long grass.

Rear access is easy if your a contortionist or a small child. But it can be done with the odd cramp 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif

It also has exceptional range, (for the pilot) I wouldnt want to be in the back for anything over 1.5 tops.

If your near YBTH any week end, just ask anyone at the Aero Club or Central West Flying School and they,ll point you in Freds direction and he will happily take you for a fly.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/Aussie_Steve01/Bathurst Pics/03012009014.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/Aussie_Steve01/Bathurst Pics/03012009013.jpg

Hi Aussie Steve Does your mate know of any shadows for sale in the area also does he know approx how many shadows in Aust????

I just read a quote about it... "I only had to look at the smile on the Hungarian Mig pilots face as he sat in the Streak at Cranfield this year to see that the aircraft is obviously a closet jet jockey's dream. I mean, who'd buy an aircraft with a steering wheel instead of a stick and expect to enjoy it..."

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, Just thought I would put my two bobs worth in. This is in relation to Streak Shadows.

The thirteenth streak shadow in Australia has just been completed in Victoria, and is currently being painted. As I understand it six or seven are currently registered and flown fairly regularly. Ian Fergason from near Sheperton in Victoria was the Australian distributer of Shadow aircraft, His Shadow demostrator (a factory built version, shipped to Australia by container) was hanging in the ceiling of the British Pavillion at Expo 88 in Brisbane, and is currently located near Cairns. The other shadow displayed at Expo 88, was the aircraft that Brian Milton flew from England to Australia, called the "Dalgety Flyer",and is now in the Power House museum in Sydney. It is displayed every few months, on the display rotation system.

I flew Ian's demonstrator in the early 90's, and can assure they are a rocket ship of very tame flying qualities. I have owned a Rotax 582 (65HP-two stroke) powered kit version for the past three years and have just purchased a second Shadow, and will take delivery of it in August. It is a Jabaroo 2200 (90HP-four stroke) powered aircraft.

Shadows are renowned for their benign flying qualities, Held Stall attempts result in porpoise descents of approx three hundred feet in each step, the aircraft will not spin, and has docile and predictable flying qualities. Shadows do have an issue with the rear seat in that the original design left the passenger rather cramped, but a deeper footwell mod resolves the cramped seating position, and practice makes entry and egress difficulties rather a non issue. I am 6'2" in the old money and have no problems. The pilot does however have the gold in that the flying position is that of a sports car and is comfortable for hours of flying, (bladder willing) and affords glider visability.

Thanks for your time and Happy Flying, Dave

• 4 weeks later...

D

G`Day Robert, I`ve flown a shadow........ It was purchased by a student of mine and housed here for a couple of years.This particular one flew beautifully....... It was easy to fly and hard to stall.......Don`t know if they`re all like that,though.

I think this aircraft is still in the Cairns area and for sale.

Frank.

Do you know who owns the shadow in Cairns and how much he wants for it? Would appreciate any info. Dave.

Guest Maj Millard

Hi dtanner, Not familiar with the one in Cairns. Might suggest you send FARRI a PM as he may know something about it. I'm due for a trip to Mareeba shortly probabily via Innisfail so I'll keep an eye out on that trip...................................................................................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

DDo you know who owns the shadow in Cairns and how much he wants for it? Would appreciate any info. Dave.

Hi dtanner, Yes I do know who owned it!... I`m not sure where he is at the moment or if he still has it as I only see him from time to time!... I will try and find out then get back to you!!!

Frank.

• 1 month later...

Well Guys, Have purchased my second shadow! It was built by Ross Leach from Nerangbah, in Qld and is a beautiful machine. He claimed it was the best appointed in Australia, and I agree wholeheartedly. it was built around 1994, and now has a Jabaroo 2200 motor. i will be uploading both photo's and details to youtube in the near future.

Thanks for your time, and Safe Flying, Dave.

• Like 1

Well Guys, Have purchased my second shadow! It was built by Ross Leach from Nerangbah, in Qld and is a beautiful machine. He claimed it was the best appointed in Australia, and I agree wholeheartedly. it was built around 1994, and now has a Jabaroo 2200 motor. i will be uploading both photo's and details to youtube in the near future.Thanks for your time, and Safe Flying, Dave.

Looking forward to seeing those vids Dave.

Hi Guy's. Just a quick one. I have tonight uploaded three video's to our youtube channel (tannerair) of the Ross Leach Shadow taken on about 19th August 2011, when we took delivery. It is a beautiful aircraft, and will hopefully get to take a number of new video's during the next month weather willing. We have eventually aquired the necessary materials to finish the repair work on Shadow 1and expect it to be flying by Christmas. More Later.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still looking for a hanger at airfield or even private property in South East Qld. Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1