Temora Update

Admin

Aircraft Showcase - Pacific Theatre will take place this Saturday May 21st. On the schedule to fly is the Museum’s Lockheed Hudson, Supermarine Spitfire Mk. XVI and CAC Wirraway. Adding to the flying line up, our visitors will be treated to a memorable display performed by three members of the Southern Knights in their Harvards. Owners and pilots Dave Salter, Doug Hamilton and Steve Death will be making their way to the Temora Aviation Museum to perform a three ship Southern Knights display. Those who have previously had the opportunity to witness their performance will agree that it is magnificent. Steve Death has only recently completed the restoration of his Harvard and I am sure that he will be happy to show off his shiny new machine and answer any questions during the Engineering Hangar talk.

Two weeks ago the Museum celebrated the 70th anniversary of 10EFTS and to help with the celebrations we invited three local WWII veterans who trained here at Temora during that period. All three had a wonderful time as they reminisced about their experiences during WWII. The Temora Aviation Museum is actively seeking any veterans who are interested in allowing us to record their stories on film. Over the past 4 years the Museum has been capturing many of the untold stories and accounts of veterans contributions whilst defending Australia. These films are now able to be viewed at the Museum and our visitors can enjoy the stories of individual men and women who, although not given recognition in the history books, have been vital to the pioneering spirit of Australia’s military aviation. For more information please contact the Museum.

UPCOMING FLYING DATES

May 21st Aircraft Showcase – Pacific Theatre June 4th Aircraft Showcase – Korea June 18th Aircraft Showcase – World War II July 2nd July 16th August 6th August 20th September 3rd September 17th

November 19th Major Airshow

WAYS TO GET INFORMATION FROM US

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/temoraaviationmuseum

Twitter http://twitter.com/TemoraAviation Website www.aviationmuseum.com.au

Guest davidh10

I put it in my diary a few weeks ago when I first heard of it, and will try to get there. It's a great day. I haven't been since they changed the format of the flying days.

The idea of catching up with some other forumites is also a good idea.

ERSA say's "No flight permitted except with permission of controlling authority-Temora Historic Flight Club. Non participating aircraft should plan to arrive or depart outside the display times. Priority given to display aircraft except for aircraft in emergency or Emergency Services Aircraft"

Would anyone like us to discuss with the museum to find what they would require from us?

Guest davidh10
...Would anyone like us to discuss with the museum to find what they would require from us?

Yep. I'm happy to enquire. I was going to do so anyway. I'll post back the info from my enquiry this coming week.

I'll be planning to fly in, weather permitting. Pretty sure you just have to fly in before 09:00 and out after about 15:00. It's uncontrolled, but they provide some ground marshalling / direction on a frequency that is published.

Guest davidh10

Preliminary information* for pilots flying in for the day:

Information from Sydney VNC, ERSA PRD.

Temora YTEM is surrounded by:-

· R406 RA2 (SFC – 5000) Activated by NOTAM Authority is “Temora Historic Flight Club” Contact: 02 6977 1088 Activity: Air Displays.

· D427 (SFC – 5000). Activated by NOTAM Authority is “Temora Historic Flight Club” Contact: 02 6977 1088 Activity: Air Displays.

RA2 => May not flight plan through or expect a clearance from ATC, however tracking may be offered on a tactical basis by ATC unless NOTAM indicates clearance not available^.

=======================

Information from Temora Aviation Museum.

CTAF 126.15 A Unicom may operate on the CTAF.

For days on which they are only flying piston engine aircraft, the D427 area is activated, typically as shown in the example NOTAM below. If however the jets are being flown, then the R406 area is activated, typically between 11:00 and 14:00 local time.

Fly in before the scheduled start of the airshow (usually 10:00) and out after it ends (typically 15:00), and obviously not during any activation of R406 . Note from the example NOTAMS below that R406 is only activated for the period of the jet display, being a small subset of the period of activation of D427. For shows that do not include jets, only the D427 area is activated. For November, both will be activated, as it is a combined display.

Temora are currently unable to provide any guidance on the longer airshow or activation times for the November major airshow event and at this stage just suggest subscribing to their newsletter. Maybe we will be able to get some better information closer to the event.

There is no requirement to let them know you are going to fly-in. On the big showcase days, a Unicom will operate and they may call you after you give your 10mile inbound call.

=======================

Example NOTAM, as posted for Saturday, July 2nd (Piston + Jets).

TEMORA (YTEM)

C14/11

TAF NOT AVBL

FOR MORE INFORMATION CTC 02 9296 1527 OR 02 9296 1526

FROM 07 012000 TO 09 301000

DAILY 2000/1000

R406 TEMORA (R406)

C6/11

R406 ACT

DUE TEMORA AVIATION MUSEUM AIR DISPLAY

SFC TO 5000FT AMSL

FROM 07 020300 TO 07 020345

D427 TEMORA (D427)

C11/11

D427 ACT DUE AVIATION ACT

ASSOCIATED WI TEMORA AVIATION MUSEUM

SFC TO 5000FT AMSL

FROM 06 302300 TO 07 020700

DAILY 2300/0700

=======================

*This is provided for information purposes only. PICs are responsible for obtaining final information for flight planning from the authoritative source(s).

^Clearance not applicable to RAA Pilots who do not also hold an active eligible PPL and whose aircraft is eligible (per relevant CAO). I doubt that even a qualified pilot and aircraft would obtain a clearance except in an emergency even if not excluded by NOTAM.

#Last updated 1st July, 2011.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest davidh10

Fly-in information, above, updated with example NOTAMS for a combined piston engine and jet engine display, so should be similar for November.

• 3 months later...

Hey forumites,

If you decide to come to ytem for the big Museum fly-in, call in to our place on the airpark for a coffee or whatever in the hangar before or after the show. We are at 38 tenefts (10 elementary flying training school, efts).

Cazza

Morning forumites,

Just a bit more information on the Aviation Show on the 19th of Nov. Typically, those who fly in do so in the last hour before the airspace closes. If the day is good, the airspace in the CTAF is alike a swarm of bees, lots and lots of aircraft trying to get into the circuit and landing and lots of locals trying to get out for the day. So if you are flying in, leave early and try to get in before the last hour before the airspace closes. You can make your way to my hangar on taxiway E, the only one with a windsock and have some coffee and morning tea (homemade scones and such), then wander down to the Museum which will open at 8:30am that day.

Cazza