Over water, whose in?

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

Now that the 'over water' reg is now in, how many lining up for a crack at crossing Bass Strait?

Just curious at how much effort was but into obtain this and how many are actually gunna do it.

I know of at least one.

ozzie

Tasmanians do it because they have to. The reality is that you can not count on ditching a hi wing cessna with fixed gear, without it flipping over. same goes for a lot of other aircraft. This IS the way you will arrive on the sea IF the motor stops. AS far as using an amphibian, I've rarely seen Bass Straight in a calm condition and if you have read PG Taylors book concerning frigate bird 2's trip to Chile via easter island, seaplanes don't like rough seas. On the calm side of an island would be a possibility. A low wing retractable with a bit of dihedral will handle ditching, but there is a technique to it regarding swells and wind direction, and it's better if you have some power. This only happens if you are nearly out of fuel. Having all the flotation gear is small comfort if you get seriously injured and can't exit the plane.

Take your wife to NZ with Virgin, David and fly something when you arrive. While my view here is a bit negative, nobody should undertake things without some kind of risk/benefit considerations/analysis. This is particularly important if you choose to take your family. They should be aware of the risks, and I could not in all conscience, justify taking all of them over large stretches of water in something like a Cessna 185 etc.

I might ferry one with just me across the Pacific, but that's a different issue. Nev

No RAA registable amphibian is designed to land in rough sea conditions.

HOWEVER I personally would prefer to be in one if I had to ditch...1.No wheels to flip;2.Strong hull designed to hit water;3.bilge pump; etc

While I am sure some will not agree following replies to other posts of mine, I think you have a better chance of life if you can stop on water and exit the aircraft even if it sinks soon afterwards, than getting out of an overturned one.

A rough sea? Stall landing in line of swell...pray.

While we all saw the photos of the Jab floating in SE Qld floods, that was NOT after a water landing

• Like 1

I agree with that Heon. Even the real stuff. ( no offence intended there) only the Walrus could really land and pick someone up from the open sea. The Ruskies might have something, They were/are keen on water stuff. Nev

Take a look at the safety equipment specification requirements for fishing BOATS in the vicinity of the north coat of Tasmania - you have to have a small BOAT on top, and that's something which is seaworthy if its engine stops.

An RA aircraft has to be successfully ditched; hands up those who can do it in ocean wave formations.

And once you're far enough out, think 15 knots for your rescue boat to arrive, so maybe several hours from the time you successfully ditch, and I recall one case where a commercial aircraft sighted someone in a lifejacket in the early afternoon, but there was no helicopter in the Melbourne area with suitable range/equipment, and the commercial aircraft had to leave the guy there.

Consider the weight of the thermal/flotation/safety gear you would need just to remain afloat and findable in the water, and you're probably down to one person in an RA aircraft.

Then as I said earlier, look at the reliability of RA engines.

You are almost totally relying on a non-event trip or you're dead - a bit like Russian roulette.

Facthunter made the point about NZ, Tasmania for $65.00 or whatever and local hire looks a lot smarter.

Guest ozzie

That story about the commercial aircraft circleing overhead the ditched pilot. I remember this pretty well if not for the ditching the big noises made by the press and pollies afterward. It was a regular RPT flight by a F27. I think the ditched aircraft was a piper single engine. The F27 circled for quite some time but had nothing at their disposal to help. They stayed for as long as they could then completed their flight to Tassie. The pilot was just wearing a life jacket and was never found.

it made big news and all sorts of things were bantied around to prevent this sort of thing happening again. Big ask was could a life raft have been tossed out to him.

So shortly later there we were over Botany Bay tossing life rafts out of a Conquest that was leased by David Belton. Some inflated before impact, one did the job and another departed a little early and bounced down the beach destroying itself before it inflated. All this was in the late seventies.

ozzie

Just to pick up on a point made by Don, (going with a group). There is actually nothing the others can do to help except hang around for a short while, at more risk to themselves, and broadcast the position. The GPS equipped epirb will do a good job there. The problem is that water slows you down very rapidly. With the plane inverted, damaged and sinking and you still strapped in and possibly not fully conscious. It is not looking good. Gently alighting on the water is the aim, but can never be guaranteed. Trikes as discussed on another thread are bad, as you are likely to be injured. Rescue chopper crews do a lot of work (practice) at getting out of immersed cabins. You can't always land into the wind as the line of the swell is more of a determinant of landing direction, and while it would seem to be a good idea to try to stall it on, that technique usually causes the nose to bury itself in a wall of water, and you slow up almost instantly.

Mr. Isaac, The RG would have to be an advantage over the leggy ones.

Just a little aside. If you must ferry something to NZ, consider the Hobart - South Island option. You don't have to find two tiny islands on the way, and the South Island of NZ is a pretty big target. Also if you pick the weather carefully, you are at a latitude where you can get a guaranteed Tailwind that can be significant. They are not called the roaring 40's for nothing... Nev

Guest clamar floats

Count me in :-)

Regards

Clamar

QRAA planning a club trip next Feb to Tas. Should be great as a member is from there and is passing on "where to go" info.Lot of water...think I might just take an amphibian!

Guest Howard Hughes

Two words...'Immersion Suit', which won't leave much payload for anything else...

• 4 weeks later...

Count me in - done it tons of times, provided you prepare it's achievable and very satisfying indeed

FP

Now that the 'over water' reg is now in, how many lining up for a crack at crossing Bass Strait?Just curious at how much effort was but into obtain this and how many are actually gunna do it.

I know of at least one.

ozzie