Welcome To Canadian Members

Welcome to Recreational Flying all the Canadian Aviators. Everyone around the world are interested to hear about recreational aviation in Canada so please, join in and tell us more about what it is like flying in Canada. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Thank you for the opportunity to tell our stories (lies?) about flying in Canada. I have always thought of the flying fraternity as just that - brothers in arms. And not much to tell this year since our weather has been bad, bad, bad. Most of Canada have just one simple question for Aussies flyers - what's it like to fly upside down all the time?

But not as much fun as some of the scenery I gather that is "up" there in Canada...if anyone has any photos, add them to the gallery...would be great to see some

Hi Evan. I am coming down to visit you Aussies next February (or so) around the Brisbane area so I hope to get the feel of your flying. Looking forward to it. Hoping to see and try out planes I have never come across. I have heard lots of good things about flying in your country.

Hi Ian. Thanks for the forums and the welcoming from your members. I have enjoyed myself and made new friends. I will dig through my pictures (buried in CDs now) and see if I can upload some from my adventures. My province of BC is a mountainous terrain, and it can be 'interesting' flying around here. The rest of Canada you will have to attract other Canadian since I have never flown elsewhere. Perhaps I put together my 2 favorite adventures which happened a few years ago.

And not much to tell this year since our weather has been bad, bad, bad. Most of Canada have just one simple question for Aussies flyers - what's it like to fly upside down all the time?

It's not too bad, but you have to remember to put the plug in, and of course most spins occur in the opposite direction.

I'd be interest in hearing about the lake flying when the weather picks up

How about the story (someone I know, not me) about a bushpilot who got caught in 100 mph winds, with 6 people on board, in a Beaver, and said Beaver then flipped upside down before recovering at 200 feet above the inlet. For lake flying in bad weather I have would have to ask some relatives who flew on the coast for a number of years. Lots of stories. Me, I am a tyro on lake flying, and never on bad days. In BC, we have what is called south-easters. The storms hit us from the south-east and I have seen 150 km/hr. Not flying weather I think.

Incidentally, does the gas drain out flying when you forget to put the plug in?

I guess us 912 powered plane owners are cheapskates. I always guessed that :)

But BC flying can be a serious business with our weather and terrain. Worst weather is Nov-Mar (don't recommend that anyone come and visit to fly at that time!). Where I live, on Vancouver Island, we have 2500 meter mountains. Across the straits on the mainland, there are mountains to 4100 meters. In the summer, fog can be a problem, but generally the weather is far better, especially in July & August. Travel east-west has few VFR routes. I am looking forward to comparing what I see here with what occurs in Australia.

Hi Evan. I am coming down to visit you Aussies next February (or so) around the Brisbane area so I hope to get the feel of your flying. Looking forward to it. Hoping to see and try out planes I have never come across. I have heard lots of good things about flying in your country.

Just be careful of the rush of blood to the head from flying upside down all the time GDL:laugh:

Pud

Hi Pud. Isn't blood rushing the head good for pilots? I am sure I read that somewhere. Perhaps that is the secret to Aussie flying success! And I always thought Canada was at the top of the world. Of course I have never flown at the top of our world but there have been ultralights (and others) up there. One club member looked after an ice airstrip north and east of Cambridge Bay (look way up north on Victoria Island) and talked about a corporate Learjet that landed and proceeded to spin its way down the strip until the pilots were dizzy (no damage fortunately). But hey, that's Canada.

I will talk to my AME doctor. He flies a Skybolt aerobatic plane and he can show me the Aussie way :)