Test flying a new plane

After reading Rocketdriver's adventures I am starting to think I need some sort of plan for test flying my tornadoes.The undercarriage of the tornado looks positively anaemic compared to many planes. The gear leg consists of 1.25" fibreglass rods, which are known to break after a few hard landings.

Is there any recommended procedure?

There are a few around, but I can't remember where to find them. Have a look on"vansairforce.net" I am sure there will be one hidden in there somewhere.

Guest rocketdriver

The RAA has a copy of an FAA document about test flying that is essential reading and covers lots of things you might not otherwise think of. Pity it didn't mention saturated black soil grassland! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif. Any way, I used that to draw up a schedule including a standard required for each item. If you pm me your email address, I'll be happy to send you a copy .... For example, "cowl off engine inspection. .... ABSOLUTELY NO leaks of water, oil or Fuel. ..... Pass/fail. ..... "Low speed taxi in light / no wind .... tracks straight, turns left or right with expected control inputs, brakes straight with even application ... Pass / fail" and so on. If the a/c failed any test, I considered it mandatory to fix it before the next step was taken ..... These tests found two unexpected faults for me ... one a brake adjustment deficiency and one a fuel pressure problem that manifested itself tail up at high power during fast taxi testing ....

Regarding structural integrity, Your best protection is a thorough preflight inspection. And if there is any doubt, don't.

Oh, And don't go flying from a runway restricted to narrow confines or without adequate lenght or under / overshoot areas .... especially for the first few flights!

And if you are not comfortable doing the first flights, get someone who is and whom you trust to do them for you .......

PS the no leaks is MOST important ... then there is nothing flamable whatsoever loose in the engine bay if you do bend it like I did .....

Cheers and good luck!

RD

You could start with a general read through the safety articles on VAF: http://www.vansairforce.net/safety.htm (and search through the VAF forums as already suggested).

There's a book about it: http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Testing-Homebuilt-Aircraft-Vaughan/dp/0813813085 ; probably more than one!

The SAAA publish a "Flight Test Guide" (provided with their CofA kit, but possibly also available by purchase).

And of course Google can refer you to many many other articles, some of which are worth reading.

Ultimately, you have to ask yourself: am I actually the right person to conduct the flight testing of my aircraft? For instance, if you develop a fault during flight, will you act to save yourself or the plane (after all, you probably have 100's if not 1000's of hours invested in its construction)?

kitplanes magazine has been publishing a bunch of articles on this topic over the last few months - might be worth a 6 month subscription so you can pull the archives off the web. The last one (I think, I read them out of order) had statistical cause-of-failure figures. Fuel starvation was suprisingly common - apparantly people forget to check the fuel flow through to the carby is happening.

If you are worried about the undercarriage,there are two things to try. 1:- Go on a diet:roflmao:, and 2:- look at changing to a 4130 leg as per the drifters. They cop a hiding during flight training.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

kitplanes magazine has been publishing a bunch of articles on this topic over the last few months - might be worth a 6 month subscription...

As an aside I really like this magazine (it's up there with 'Gun and Garden' ;-) but I'm finding the delivery very patchy, I do believe I have missed some editions as well as delays & two arriving at once etc. Could be the mail delivery but most others seem to come through OK.

All the best for your test flight FT, personally I would encourage finding someone else to examine and fly initially.