Seating

Yenn

On the Savannah threads there are complaints about the seating. I am building a plane and have got to the stage where I am thinking about seating comfort.

Has anyone any experience of seating design, or built their own seating which is comfortable. What materials are considered the best?

Hi Yenn,

I went to a disability store and got some high impact memory foam, it molds to your body with body heat seats cost me about $90 each. The RAA mag had an article in it around the begining of last year ansd gave an address in WA somewhere.

Bob.

On the Savannah threads there are complaints about the seating. I am building a plane and have got to the stage where I am thinking about seating comfort.Has anyone any experience of seating design, or built their own seating which is comfortable. What materials are considered the best?

Hi Yenn,

I was a motor trimmer in a former life so I can probably offer some advice.

Natural materials are the best for your seat covers either leather or wool, both for comfort and durability.

You need to be careful when purchasing your foam for cushioning. Foam is not all created the same, even if you buy a firm one it may not stay that way for long. They use powder and chemical in the manufacture, the more powder and the less chemical the sooner it turns back into powder , losing its resilience.

Both with the fabric and foam you only get what you pay for, even leather can be purchased for around half what you might expect to pay but the cheap one will be corrected (or coated leather), either a badly scarred hide or the shaved backing off another hide with a synthetic coating- hardly better than vinyl.

You need to check with a couple of trial cushions to get the thickness right so your legs still fit where they are supposed to and your head doesn't bump the canopy etc.

If you are limited for space which will probably be the case, I would suggest you use several layers of different density foam, a firm one at the bottom medium in the middle and a softer one on the top, the layers can be joined with contact adhesive, that way it doesn't feel like you are sitting on a board but still keeps your posterior from contacting the aluminum or plywood which becomes very uncomfortable very quickly. The backrest cushioning needs to be a lot softer than the seat.

I'm not sure what you are building or how much room you have to be able to change design etc. but if you can use a taught canvas base rather than aluminum or ply that will help a lot.

Hope this helps

Regards Bill

The cushions in the factory built SavS I fly look nice and do the trick but could be better (ie more comfortable) in my opinion... I reckon for me I cant find too much to fault with the space inside the cockpit... I reckon you have a good area to work with to create a comfortable environment.

Go here and search for foam seat for some info: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/

Personally, I wouldn't use a canvas base considering a hard landing situation. Also, it is important to retain space under the seat to provide deflection of the seat in case of an accident.

I saw the result of a recent hard landing in an aeroplane with a steel tube fuselage and aluminium seat pan (cushion on top) - the pilot's posterior would have come within a few mm of the ground - in talking to him afterwards I don't believe he realises how close he came to not walking away from it.

On the Savannah threads there are complaints about the seating. I am building a plane and have got to the stage where I am thinking about seating comfort.Has anyone any experience of seating design, or built their own seating which is comfortable. What materials are considered the best?

I've added a home-made lumbar support for the lower back - that's essential. Then a 50mm foam pad under all the seat and extending forward past the front of the base. Don't what grade of foam, just from an old cushion. This helps to spread the load to the backs of the thighs rather than all just on the butt. On long trips I also tuck my camping pillow under the front of all that, to carry even more weight on the thighs. It's crude but works pretty well. I just got back from a 145hr trip around WA. Many 6 and 7 hr days.... Wouldn't have been able to do that if the seating was original. Backside complained some, but then it does carry all the load and doesn't get to see the view.....

JG

Personally, I wouldn't use a canvas base considering a hard landing situation..

DJ If you are going to tear a correctly made canvas base on impact in a hard landing ( I presume that is your concern) then it will probably be a good thing (think crumple zones in cars). They can be made very strong (truck tarp type canvas 12oz or more, properly reinforced and attached, not chinese camping chair style )and if you are going to tear one you probably have several more bigger problems on your hands

Savannah for me isn't real comfortable, but I'm a short ass, and I have to tuck a cushion behind AND under me, and I end up with a sore back after about an hour or so