what happens when you dont do your take off performance checks.

Ultralights

My goodness! What did the pilot have on board that degraded performance to that extent...lead ingots?

You can usually get the tail of a Stinson up only seconds after applying full power but this one seemed to take forever. Once up, I think the pilot was trying to drag it off the ground whereas all that happened was that the airframe drag increased and kept it attached to terra firma.

And the greater the firma on take off the greater the terra, too!

kaz

Not when they were built... Franklin 165hp, wood prop was common arrangement. Lots of variants now, however, with Lycoming 0-360's and bigger Continentals, too so could be a CS problem, I guess.

They take 4 people plus full fuel and are supposed to get off the ground in less than 200m

kaz

does not appear to have any flap out, do they have flaps and would they have helped? I certainly think I would have put a little flap out to get off the ground and over the trees a little higher instead of through the trees. Certainly very lucky to have escaped disaster.

Ultralight's last post has the ingredients. It certainly had little performance, even on climb out. The altitude is the sneaky bit and the Density altitude would have been pretty high. I have flown into Gyra, and Mount Hotham and the performance really drops off, especially on a hot day. You check the charts and still don't believe them . I tend to have a point on the runway where I have reached a set speed or I give it away. The Runway in the vid had a downhill section at the far end so that doesn't help the stopping bit. Nev

• 3 weeks later...
I tend to have a point on the runway where I have reached a set speed or I give it away. The Runway in the vid had a downhill section at the far end so that doesn't help the stopping bit. Nev

The runway clearly helped the take-off bit. Without the slope to give it better groundspeed, the plane would have been in real trouble.