Antique looking slip indicator?

I heard that the early aviators could tell which way they were side slipping by the feel of the wind on their cheek. That's why they all wore flying helmets .... to eliminate the whistling sound as the air went in one ear and out the other. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

OME

• Like 1

would mounting the existing glass in a brass plate be antique enough for you? or just a thin brass skin over the top of the existing metal?

Hi Sain...Destiny posted me an old one he had and I was just thinking that. I could unscrew the case and remove the glass tube and make some brass ends for it.

Scotty,

Go to a Clearing Sale and see if you can pick up a spirit level with brass fittings. A bit of Brasso and elbow grease should give you a pretty cover.

OME

This is something like I am looking for but maybe not as big? In brass would look lovely! Surely there is someone out there who sells them for the replica WW1 aircraft that are out there?

I pulled the front cover off one I have here and its not a just a glass tube. There is an additional section at the top that was used to fill it I think and now serves the purpose of hiding the air bubble...Scotty

P1020845.JPG.ea96db0a96394f6b238d75a0c9a4eee7.JPG

I just found these on the net. Would a simple spirit level like this indicate with just a bubble or does it need the ball in it? I could dismantle this and easily mount it. Look pretty good too!

level4.jpg.449876392ae8545a59492ef8801298df.jpg

You can't just use a spirit level. I think the one you have looks pretty good. There's got to be a way to get a brass colouring on that metal. Since brass is an alloy, I don't think you can electroplate it, but I think there may be some sort of paint type product that would put a brass patina on the metal.

OME

Here you go. Try this

31. Variegated Gold-Brown (for Cast Brass)

Ingredients

Process

Hot immersion (3-5 min.)

Immerse in hot solution (194°F, 90°C). A golden lustre develops within one minute and becomes more intense. When lustre color is fully developed in 3 - 5 minutes, remove and wash in hot water, which is also a cooling process. Finally, wash article in cold water. Dry carefully first by blotting excess moisture with absorbant tissue paper and then air dry. Wax finish when dry.http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm#26

http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm#26

OME

You can't just use a spirit level. I think the one you have looks pretty good. There's got to be a way to get a brass colouring on that metal. Since brass is an alloy, I don't think you can electroplate it, but I think there may be some sort of paint type product that would put a brass patina on the metal.OME

Hi Mark...the semi circle example above that the guy is holding is what im looking for. It was an example I found on the web. Wag aero has a similar one.

Scotty

Here you go. Try this31. Variegated Gold-Brown (for Cast Brass)

Ingredients

Process

Hot immersion (3-5 min.)

Immerse in hot solution (194°F, 90°C). A golden lustre develops within one minute and becomes more intense. When lustre color is fully developed in 3 - 5 minutes, remove and wash in hot water, which is also a cooling process. Finally, wash article in cold water. Dry carefully first by blotting excess moisture with absorbant tissue paper and then air dry. Wax finish when dry.http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm#26

http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm#26

OME

Just be careful with your skin. Even a short exposure to this solution will migrate into the epidermis and turn your skin into a yellow-brown colour which will take days to disappear. Brown hands look rather funny, especially if you're of European origin, but if you want to avoid this you'll need to take proper precautions such as wearing gloves.

A few points in passing..

BB, flying with a spirit level would be difficult. Those things are far too sensitive. ........

There has to be an airspace to allow for expansion in the tube. Don't forget that the ball can't be a close fit in the tube or the fluid would take too long to get past it, and it would be overdamped. The weighted ball is only a pendulum in effect. It is measuring SKID or SLIP. It doesn't measure Bank in any way.

Cleaning brass... Mostly done with polishing. Brass is an alloy of zinc and copper. It will nickel plate easily, and nickel was the most common plating material prior to 1930, when Chromium became more common. Nickel looks lovely.

Turn and Bank........ The turn needle is a different matter. Being driven? by a gyroscope and responding/indicating rate of turn it does indirectly give you a measure of bank, insomuch as the more bank the larger the rate of turn. ( Speed being constant). Nev

A solution of potassium permangante (Condy's Crystals) in water is an old remedy for tinea. Used it summer, it makes your feet look like they've been in sandals 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

And don't let's talk about Condy's Crystals, dissolved in ammonia, and recrystallised. The words "woofle dust" come to mind.

OME