Cockpit Canopy Lock

Hi Folks,

Can any of you advise where we can get a canopy lock/latch to secure the canopy on the Morgan Sierra from inside and also be able to lock down and secure from the outside (key lock).

We currently hold the canopy down with latches on either side of the canopy but we have no security

to prevent anyone opening the canopy from the outside.

Alan Marriette.

Thanks for your help Ignition but they are not what we would ideally prefer.

We would like a handle arrangement inside the cockpit which had a cam so that when turned it, it would effectively pull the canopy down to not only latch but improve the seal of the canopy. It would also need to be lockable from the outside. Not sure if there is such an animal.

Alan Marriette.

Alan,

have a look at the canopy lock on the Texan if there is one in your area or give Fly Synthesis a call.

It seems to work well and it may be adaptable for the Sierra

Cheers

Bryon

But he'll charge like a wounded bull unless you ooh and aah about his Sportstar!

What's not to like about airborne popemobiles?! :head_hurts:

But yeah, thinking of changing the name to 'wounded bulls r us'.... well with the living tax that's coming and all......

Serious answer:

I'd be speaking with Morgan at Taree before doing anything. They may have a solution available off the shelf

The locks that Iggy has linked to would not be able to support the structural loads that a canopy would place on them in flight. A stronger mechanism is required to latch the canopy down securely and then a similar style of cam lock could be used to lock that catch in place for on ground security. Have a look at how Jabiru have done their door locks for an idea of the concept. There is a primary spring latch that provides the strength and the key operated cam lock provides a blocking action on the spring latch. A similar set up is on the Cherokee 6. There is a primary lock to secure the door for flight and a secondary latch with key operated lock for security.

Another less elegant solution for on ground security only, could be a pair of discretely fitted eyes for an alloy padlock. 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

That'll be $180 inc gst + $23 hot air tax.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions. There are no structural loads as the canopy is already secured by two lock down devices on the sides of the canopy. Gary Morgan has nothing available or we would have

fitted one before taking delivery. A key lockable fitting is all that is required but it would be nice if a cam system was incorporated as this would pull down the rear of the canopy a little more and thus provide a better seal at this point. Having said all that I will certainly follow up on all your suggestions, thanks again all of you for your help.

Talking about Popemobiles my wife has what we call a Popemobile but it doesn't fly in the air but certainly flies around the Truro Flats airfield. See attached photo.

1583227922_GolfScooter.thumb.jpg.1dc122d943fb1d4556b20d6e7f6c52f9.jpg

62.jpg.292c4cb6ff5ee473e6a14c468082ad88.jpg

Hi Guys,Talking about Popemobiles my wife has what we call a Popemobile but it doesn't fly in the air but certainly flies around the Truro Flats airfield. See attached photo.

Thats a three seater, it cannot be registered RAA......

It's actually a four seater but I see your point however it is registered as a GA Popemobile the 'G' standing for GROUND.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifAlan Marriette.

Damn, must be time for a new pair of glasses...

Does GA stand for GROUND ATTACK.....095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

I'm not sure, but judging by the way my wife drives, the name seems to be ideal, so with your permission we will adopt that name.

If you do claim 'naming rights' and there is a fee involved, please name you figure so that I can give you at least ten reasons for not paying you.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Alan Marriette.

As an opening offer, the naming rights to Ground Attack are free, but any onselling or licensing of the name incurs a royalty fee

Please send all remuneration to my account in Nigeria 066_naughty.gif.fdb194956812c007d0f5d54e3c692757.gif

As an opening offer, the naming rights to Ground Attack are free, but any onselling or licensing of the name incurs a royalty feePlease send all remuneration to my account in Nigeria 066_naughty.gif.fdb194956812c007d0f5d54e3c692757.gif

Agreed......I will send the anticipated $40,000,000 just before Christmas. To avoid possible detection the money will be sealed in an Airsickness Bag hidden amongst the usual type of contents with

the declaration stating the contents as Tomato Soup.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Alan Marriette.