Under The Hood?

Hi,

Is under the hood instrument training permitted with an RA-Aus qualified instructor, in a training A/C with the standard 6 pack of instruments? I don't see why not as technically you're a passenger on a dual flight... Just questioning whether there's any legal implications.

The GA 152s that you can do your mandatory IF work for GFPT/PPL/CPL aren't IFR rated so that shouldn't be a problem for RAA.

-Andrew

Yes ... I'll just add the disclaimer that it is just my opinion as I don't have a reference to a reg (or absence of a reg to prohibit it). Check CASA's licencing manual but I think you will find no reference to it - if so,then accepted for PPL/CPL within the normal rules for acceptance of RAA flying.

And somewhere along the track to a CASA licence is evaluation of competency.

Af for being a passenger - no, on a dual flight you are a member of the crew. That brings in some other rules plus changes the insurance situation.

Let me just say that yes I have done it with one of my schools SIs and I've done it GA.... I can't tell the difference between the two? We did the exact same things and we had the exact same instruments, in the exact same spot. Is there a requirements for CPL holders to have an instrument rating? For CPL I understand there's a few more hours IF that is required to obtain the licence.

I actually agree with you in a way turbo, chances are some RA-Aus instructors haven't been exposed to IF themselves (having not held any form of GA licence) so that'd be a poor decision on the instructors behalf to bring his/her student under the foggles/hood. But for an instructor that has plenty of experience in the area (perhaps CPL Holder/Private IFR etc...) I don't see why not? Permitting you have the correct instrumentation.

-Andrew

BTW I did my 5 hours simulated "Under the Hood" training for my PPL & it certainly served me well in an unexpected and unwanted excursion into IFR conditions in a similar situation to the excellent post a little while ago by David Isaac.

A CPL needs 10 hours IF minimum but there is no requirement to hold an instrument rating. GA instructors are all CPLs, plus to be a GA instructor you need either an instrument rating (40 hours IFR) or a NVFR - much of which is done on instruments. Also GA instructors do more IF in their instructor ratings, and must demonstrate how to brief and teach instrument flight.

You might think that the instructor is just acting as a safety pilot, but unless he/she has a lot of instrument time the approach to getting the message across, will be academic. IF you haven't done a lot of IF you don't know what is difficult and you shouldn't be mucking around with it. These days most of the time spent under IMC conditions will be with the autopilot engaged. Whilst this might cover the procedures it doesn't provide much actual manipulating practice. If you just let the plane fly itself it shouldn't be logged as IF. If you don't monitor it all closely you are not earning your money and shouldn't be there. Nev