Great Forum here

Lizzard

Hi all,

I just found this forum .. great stuff everybody!

I come from the roots where if you didnt build your own trike ... you shouldnt fly.

Pioneered a few hangliding sites and still get grubby hands ..54 now

I see that commercial ,ga influences, and blame games (insurances)have allowed many non mechanically minded people to fly with relative saftey.

I dont see engine off spot landing comps

I do see that it's something that MUST be practiced safely.

Of note is that trikes are now very over equiped and over priced for a machine that basicaly flies in fun circles ..whats the hurry?

The very best trike I ever flew was a moyes mars 170 and a 277 rotax..slow but the handling!

I have a few trikes, all of which I built, and wings

wizzard 2

pegasus

airborne shark(hanglider)

My bases are tig welded stainless steel brackets with 6061 t6 tube sections .

very light and impossible to make commercially.

Sharing the little bits we have learned enhances our experience and makes everybody safer.

Still reading..........

here's a video of one of my builds

Lindsay

• Like 2

Hey Lindsay! And welcome along. :thumb_up:

I'm glad to see you playing around making your own stuff, that's the shot... I make a lot of my stuff, but haven't made a plane yet, and that's on the list next. I'm actually relieved to see someone else use the motorbike idea with the trike wing. I had a similar thought a while back but didn't dare say to much as my parents would probably kill me if I decided to experiment with such a thing. 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

Keep up the good work.

The basic of the skybike

A friction drive from the rear wheel drives a chain which drives a 3;1 90 deg drive

the rear brake becomes the throttle.

A hard compound tyre was vital ... you can hear the drive slip just after the flyby .

I only did a few hours on it ..but it really needs a stack of money thrown at it to get it refined .

I would have used a lighter trail bike but needed the excess power (110 hp) so that i could ground test the drive system to possible destruction with safely. I only ever used 60% for the flight testing.

a refined drive system with no chain would be impotrant as would the propper testing for tbo

Theres not much on a bike that isint also needed on an aircraft.

The weight with one is just like 2 fat guys on a trike

having mass foward(engine and bike ) and rotational mass to the rear offers some potential challenges in severe turbulence

It was interesting that the front wheel in flight, would spin backwards so a light touch of the front brake was important just before touch down

I really want to do a car like this some day ..the rear diffs on some cars are just begging for this "treatment"

you can (breifly)fly a plank with enough thrust

Hi all, I come from the roots where if you didnt build your own trike ... you shouldnt fly...Pioneered a few hangliding sites and still get grubby hands ..54 nowLindsay

G`Day Lindsay and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif!!!.... Love you`re attitude!!!:thumb_up:

I also come from grass roots!.....26 years ago I met a guy who built his own Trike and a couple of 3 axis ultralights!

This particular day, I helped him put his Trike together on one of the back roads we have here, take off and watched him climb out and fly!

I`d never seen a Trike before or had any flying experience or ambition to fly, but that day changed my life! I decided I just had to fly!!!

I copied off his Chinook WT2 that he`d built and from scratch built my own and learnt to fly it!... Twin seat instruction was illegal at that time!

Flown many different types of ultralights over the years and I`m still a very active Drifter flier!!!

Frank......64 shortly!!!

G`Day Lindsay and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif!!!.... Love you`re attitude!!!:thumb_up:I also come from grass roots!.....26 years ago I met a guy who built his own Trike and a couple of 3 axis ultralights!

This particular day, I helped him put his Trike together on one of the back roads we have here, take off and watched him climb out and fly!

I`d never seen a Trike before or had any flying experience or ambition to fly, but that day changed my life! I decided I just had to fly!!!

I copied off his Chinook WT2 that he`d built and from scratch built my own and learnt to fly it!... Twin seat instruction was illegal at that time!

Flown many different types of ultralights over the years and I`m still a very active Drifter flier!!!

Frank......64 shortly!!!

Hey Frank,

There is something special about diy with this, more achievement and satisfaction.

Im pretty damm sure that the wright brothers (and others at the time )were only ever really looking for a good trike to feel flight ..or something similar.

They might well turn in their graves to see the red tape created by the "business" of flying

I have come to understand that if your machine weighs more than you then it is difficult if not impossible to make it an extension of your self easily.

That said, power steering will likely be the next development like bicycle handlebars or handles pivoting on the centre of the base bar , connected to winglets .

Im sure that would have already been done ?

The heavy trikes of today really need a runway to be safe rather than a bit of track with clear entry and exit

The circuit area is truly a dangerous place .

I fly mostly solo o.c.t.a. from a road , a beach, a lake , paddock .

I also recall seeing "pilots" with no apreciation of other air and ground users do some really silly stuff.

Remember what's fun and be safe with that.

Hey Frank,There is something special about diy with this, more achievement and satisfaction.

Lindsay! You are so correct!

When I built my Chinook, I had no plans or drawings, nothing!... Just an aircraft to look at and copy from and a burning desire to succeed!..I made most of the parts by hand!...I powered it with a Fuji Robin 440 engine!

The local sail maker was supposed to make up the skins for me, but when it came time, he didn`t want to do it anymore, so I reckoned!... If he can do it, so can I!... So I did and over the years,I`ve made 3 sets for the Drifter also!

The guy who`s aircraft I copied from and was an experienced pilot, was supposed to test fly mine for me!... when the time came!... You guesed it!... So i did it myself!

I learnt a lot and gained an enormous sense of achievement and satisfaction!

It`s not the way to go for everyone,but it realy was the way for me!

That`s me in the Drifter!

Frank.

1863423052_FrankDrifter..jpg.fcbed930d92fd9166c18f7b319ffa9f2.jpg

Lindsay,Sorry I didn`t mention your Sky Bike Vid earlier! One word says it all! Excellent! ............Take it one step further!

I rode bikes for years, loved them, and years ago I came up with the idea to have the bike attached to the wing, as part of the aircraft, in a manner that it could be flown as you have done but be able to detach on landing , use it as normal, then atach it back on and fly home!!!

Do you think it would work?????

Frank.

Lindsay,Sorry I didn`t mention your Sky Bike Vid earlier! One word says it all! Excellent! ............Take it one step further!I rode bikes for years, loved them, and years ago I came up with the idea to have the bike attached to the wing, as part of the aircraft, in a manner that it could be flown as you have done but be able to detach on landing , use it as normal, then atach it back on and fly home!!!

Do you think it would work?????

Frank.

Yep, that's always been the aim..............

extra fuel stays with the wing .

I still see it as viable but it would take few hundred grand a few dedicated people to bring it about .

No gaurantee of commercial success, but sponsorship might do it.

What I found interesting was that bike manufactures seemed pretty keen on it while I was getting it ready..then when it flew they were ashed faced...they obviously were humoring me in the construction phase, then were terrified that they might have to fly ..or something like that , not what i was expecting at all.

Even my girlfriend ..who I consequently broke up with said it will never fly!

Like so many things , unless the bucks are about they are just gimmicks.

It blows me away how many flying cars that are in concept yet raise heaps of capitol and not even flying??

There are so many bikes that will fly easily ..therin lies the problem!

Just remeber, next time you ride down a road clear of powerlines and raise the front wheel ........yes it is absolutely possible!

Hi all,I just found this forum .. great stuff everybody!

I come from the roots where if you didnt build your own trike ... you shouldnt fly.

Pioneered a few hangliding sites and still get grubby hands ..54 now

I see that commercial ,ga influences, and blame games (insurances)have allowed many non mechanically minded people to fly with relative saftey.

I dont see engine off spot landing comps

I do see that it's something that MUST be practiced safely.

Of note is that trikes are now very over equiped and over priced for a machine that basicaly flies in fun circles ..whats the hurry?

The very best trike I ever flew was a moyes mars 170 and a 277 rotax..slow but the handling!

I have a few trikes, all of which I built, and wings

wizzard 2

pegasus

airborne shark(hanglider)

My bases are tig welded stainless steel brackets with 6061 t6 tube sections .

very light and impossible to make commercially.

Sharing the little bits we have learned enhances our experience and makes everybody safer.

Still reading..........

here's a video of one of my builds

Amazing! Keep up the development and refinement: :rotary: