Annual costs of Jabiru J160

skyfox99

Could someone point me in the direction of where I may find info on Jabiru J160 annual costs.

I'm giving thought to buying one and I want to know the real cost of ownership.

I did think there was a download section with info there, but I couldn't find that.

Thank you....

I would ask around Jab owners and seriously research the engine durability.When at the airfield check out who is flying and who is tinkering its no fun flying with one eye on the temp gague all the time. Consider all the alternatives.Just looking in the latest mag its a buyers market at present some imported ac are now cheaper than the second hand offerings due to exchange rates . Research well check out resale values and enjoy your purchase.

Dave

Budget for an engine rebuild at 675 hours. Approx $8450 should cover it if it's just broken through-bolts.

Budget for at least one new propeller every two years. $1400 should suffice.

Budget for one set of maingear tyres and tubes every three months. $100 per set should suffice.

Budget for one set of new brake calipers every two years. About $160 should suffice.

Budget for four new oil filters every year. About $33 should suffice.

Budget for about ten litres of oil a year. About $70-10o should suffice.

Budget for two fuel filters and two air-filters a year. About $50 should suffice.

Budget for a top-end overhaul every 500 hours. About $400 should suffice (including parts).

Budget for a new oil-pressure sender every year. About $60 should suffice.

Budget for fuel at 15 litres per hour as a good working average hourly burn-rate.

I was wondering also what hours it was based on.

I plan to do about 100-150 hours per year.

I would think your list would be quiet accurate info from what I already know

of the Jabiru engine.

Could someone point me in the direction of where I may find info on Jabiru J160 annual costs.I'm giving thought to buying one and I want to know the real cost of ownership.

I did think there was a download section with info there, but I couldn't find that.

Thank you....

When I was doing my training some years ago, my instructor told me that if I was to put $20 aside for every hour I flew then I would always have money there for all the running costs. Things have gone up heaps in price since then, but if you do that it goes a long way towards covering the expenses.

i.e.- if you fly three hours over the weekend then put $60 aside....when you've done 500hrs. you will have $5000 sitting there, sure makes it easier

Cheers Davo.

500 hours x $20 per hour . . . . . $10,000[less some $$$ spent along the way?]

That's right BR it goes pretty close to buying a replacement engine when its due, and that's even after dipping into it to pay for all the other things along the way, like tyres, sparkplugs, filters etc.

We built our J160 in 2005 has now 1200 hrs Rebuilt engine at 1000hrs yes it made 1000hrs and still going strong cost of rebuild $3210 all up with 2 sets of tyre's Oil , Fuel, $500 land rent for Hanger and strip pr year $47 pr hour.But fuel cost will soon make this increase.

Cheers Geoff

Here is an Excel spreadsheet that we used to assess the true cost of operating our first school J160. We have applied the same approach to costing our 3 subsequent Jab's - with different capital costs (purchase prices) and different consumables - and it works out very close to the actual costs.

J160 Cost base 0410.xls

J160 Cost base 0410.xls

J160 Cost base 0410.xls

Guest nunans

That's a very clear and smart way to crunch the numbers Chris, an interesting deduction I made was to add the $4500pa opportunity cost (75k capital by 6%) and then see how many hours a year one would have to do in thier own J160 just to break even compared to hiring one from CWF?

The answer, 215hrs/year. More than 4hrs per week every week of the year...

I wonder how many members are wasting thier money owning an aircraft that would be cheaper to hire?