Turn initiation:Aileron or Rudder?

For what it is worth:- The BushCaddy (BIG Frise ailerons and BIG rudder - from the aircraft's original floatplane origins) has shown me that the most effective turn is achieved by leading with rudder momentarily before applying aileron. This sets up an easily balanced turn which then follows all conventions.

As previously stated, all aircraft are different, and experience teaches these differences.

Isn't there a differance between right and left turns considering the torque of the prop?Scotty

Yes, although many aircraft manufacturers overcome this 'problem' by mounting the engine a smidgen away from the centreline. For instance for a prop rotating clockwise as seen from the cockpit (e.g. a Rotax in tractor configuration) should have the engine slightly facing right to reduce this.

Bushcaddy and scotty, I have found similar things with my particular Foxbat; a touch of rudder before aileron in a left turn will give you the fastest,easiest balance turn, where as turning to the right it doesn't seem to matter what you lead with.

This only if you are trying to crank it around though. A mild turn, or a steep turn with a bit of time to set it up and you can take you pick. I put this down to the torque effect.

Beware the adverse yaw with the rat however, on an aileron initiated turn; it is of mamoth proportions!!

Not that I find this a major problem, it's just a bit off-puting.

I never really noticed flying the old 172 A and B and leading with the aileron, but maybe that was lack of experience!!

Guest Maj Millard

Turbo, Could it be something about putting one's foot in one's mouth,?????008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif.....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif