Sky writing

Tomo

Just thinking the other day, and it could just be me... but I haven't seen any sky writing now for ages!

Is it a fading sport, or am I just not looking up as much now? I guess I'm not in big cities a lot, and maybe I'm not in the right place at the right time anymore.

Just thinking the other day, and it could just be me... but I haven't seen any sky writing now for ages!Is it a fading sport, or am I just not looking up as much now? I guess I'm not in big cities a lot, and maybe I'm not in the right place at the right time anymore.

Still see it over Adelaide occasionally but normally only when big events are being held like the Clipsal 500 or Australia Day or :aussie:similar.

Several years ago I saw good skywriting in Johannesburg.

From memory there were five planes flying side by side and puffing out belches of smoke. they started at the beginning of a word and the smoke puffs came out to form letters, much as on an LCD screen. It must have all been controlled from one location by wireless, but was easy to read.

Still see it in Sydney every so often. I've been here for 2 1/2 years and seen it about 5 or 6 times. The last one was on a day when the cloud cover was 6/8 and BELOW the skywriting, so you could only make out about every 2nd or 3rd letter.

I haven't seen any writing over Sydney for a while now. There was some every morning at Airventure and i think there was a forum on it as well.

I remember it was popular during the late sixties, Saturday mornings advertising things like LUV dog food and UNCLE SAM deoderant.

Must cost a packet for such a short lived showing.

Ozzie

Yenn, can't say too much but that technology is alive and well and will be hitting the skies one day (hopefully soon). It's computer controlled between the aircraft in the formation - that's the hard bit to do!

Guy that taught me to fly, Ian Robinson of Aerial Ads in Moorooduc does skywriting along with banner towing. He tried the "dot-matrix" system of skywriting using 6 aircraft & controlling the whole shebang with laptops. Only saw one attempt over Melbourne quite a few years ago & it was pretty impressive. Never went anywhere, as according to Ian, his main problem was getting 6 pilots in one spot at once!!!

There is one guy who seems to do most of it in Sydney and Brisbane.

Another guy has been trying to get a dot matrix type skywriting business going for ages using a warbird formation. Problem is he is one aircraft short! Hopefully that will be resolved at some time.

Guy that taught me to fly, Ian Robinson of Aerial Ads in Moorooduc does skywriting along with banner towing. He tried the "dot-matrix" system of skywriting using 6 aircraft & controlling the whole shebang with laptops. Only saw one attempt over Melbourne quite a few years ago & it was pretty impressive. Never went anywhere, as according to Ian, his main problem was getting 6 pilots in one spot at once!!!

Does anyone have a movie of this dot-matrix skywriting? It sounds very interesting.

Guest davidh10
Yes, I guess that's true! Be a bit silly flying around writing things for nothing wouldn't it 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

That would be "free speach"! ;-)

No, haven't seen any in a long time.

Mayby that guy needs to have a look at Tomo's videos from Youtube, above. These experts only use five aircraft and it still looks very effective.

I'd never seen or heard about the dot matrix idea before, but a quick youtube search... I'm in love with it! How awesome 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

(Thanks for the vids Tomo!)