Video: Inverted Spin Recovery

winsor68

Excellent video. Really enjoyed that one.

It might be stating the obvious but one also needs to ensure that the aircraft is capable of sustained inverted flight before practicing this.

[medio=full]50[/medio]

Great footage, but hope it form the basis of what not to do in an RAA aircraft.

When the RAAF took the CT4 on board it was not too long before a restriction on convential spinning came into effect. That restriction did not preclude inverted spinning, so guesss what happened?

Personally I find that if you cut off his alcohol supply and gently roll him over, he mostly recovers on his own.

- From Spin's personal operating manual, chapter 6 - Recovery 007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif

• Like 1

When the RAAF took the CT4 on board it was not too long before a restriction on convential spinning came into effect. That restriction did not preclude inverted spinning, so guesss what happened?

The RAAF spin recovery technique could lead to very long recovery times from upright spins (the flat mode). Offhand I can't remember what the RAAF report said about inverted spins.The NZ civil flight manual for the aeroplane has a different spin recovery technique which will achieve recovery within one and a half turns as required by FAR 23. No issue with recovery times from an inverted spin and it is approved for inverted spins however personally I wouldn't do it without inverted systems on the engine.

Some types go into an inverted spin quite easily from a stall turn or botched roll off the top. Interestingly, I often have instructor trainees brief me on the need for opposite aileron in a stall turn then I go and demonstrate a neat one with the stick held steady dead centre.