Just Gained My Formation Endorsement

Guest davidh10

Guest davidh10

Two evenings ago, I had the endorsement signed into my log book, after another flight the previous evening. For me, this is another milestone on my journey, having only started flying nearly two years ago and started formation training in February, this year.

During the training, I have learned and taken part in (not listed in any particular order):-

• Formations of 2, 3, 4 and 5 aircraft.

• Route and close formations.

• Left and Right Echelon formation.

• Finger tip Formation

• Line Astern formation

• "Vee" formation"

• Line Abreast Formation, left and right

• Diamond Formation.

• Hand signals (both on the ground and in the air).

• Formation take-offs and landings.

• Pitch and recover landings.

• Join-up and break-away in the air.

• Acted as Flight Leader controlling a Section of three aircraft.

• Performed changes of lead aircraft and transfers of command.

It has been hard work, but very enjoyable. Now the learning continues to the next stage (of formation).

Guest davidh10
Formation is one of my favourite things !! You will have a great time as long as you stay currentOne question - I have not heard of finger-tip - whats that ?

You bet, I'll be staying current.

Quite separately from the official rules and regulations, the team operating conditions mandate currency and annual reviews. Of course I can still only fly in company with the CFI at present and some more members of the team need to get their endorsement. There's at least one that is close. My next step is to qualify as "Section Leader"..more hard work and quite a few hours to get under the belt.

"Finger tip" or Finger Four is three aircraft in one handed eschelon and one in the other handed eschelon position. Shaped like a "tick".

One of the interesting things I found during training was that having learned to stay accurately on-station in a particular handed formation position as Wingman, the opposite handed position was like starting again!

Thanks - got it - just never heard it called that.

Its amazing how out of position you can be on opposite echelon when using the same lineup points - just from being in a side by side aircraft !

'Fingertip' is a USAF term for a particular 4 aircraft formation and is the same as what the current RV formation teams use in the US. Essentially, it is a 'vic' with the #4 aircraft positioned echelon R or L. It is used for 'missing man' flypasts, where #3 pulls up and away to the west,and the rest continue ahead. Formation is very demanding and really improves your skills. congrats. happy days,

Guest davidh10

Thanks to all for the congrats. What it means is that I have the basics under my belt, but still have a lot to learn and master.

As for photos... It's in my plan and video too. Even bought a DV camera, but getting vibration issues sorted with the mount at present. The only photo I can offer at present is in an article on YFT's web site. The picture is a screen shot of the DV taken by a GoPro on the CFI's aircraft, while in Diamond formation. I'm the aircraft in right echelon position.

The issue with the GoPro for this sort of subject matter is the distance distortion. Things that look quite distant are actually quite close.

As for a fly past... That will be up to the CFI, but that is definitely a team objective. We just aren't ready yet to be focusing on any particular date or event.

Guest davidh10
well done David...formation work is fairly intense and requires (demands?) focus, concentration and trust within the group....

Absolutely. The requirements you list are definitely not optional. To those I would also add "discipline" and rigorously following procedure.

Congratultions David, :clap:The hardest position is the leader you have total responibilty of the whole team, calling changes, looking for traffic, conversing with traffic at the same time and not flying the team into the ground when preforming at lower altitudes whilst flying smooth.

Regards

Adrian

Guest davidh10
Congratultions David, :clap:The hardest position is the leader you have total responibilty of the whole team, calling changes, looking for traffic, conversing with traffic at the same time and not flying the team into the ground when preforming at lower altitudes whilst flying smooth.Regards

Adrian

You sure aren't kidding, Adrian. First time I did it with just two aircraft, I really experienced the "task loading", and flying as #2 position, you also have to focus on staying on-station.

I've now posted a video clip of one of the other pilots engaging in formation training.