A fantastic day to fly

sain

On Saturday I had my first flight in over a year, and boy did I get lucky on weather and conditions. I had a late afternoon flight/lesson booked with Teraya from Goulburn Aviation to get my hand back in after such a long time away from the stick. There were some not-pleasant looking winds around just prior to the flight, but they died away before we took off.

So I got to fly around in beautifully clear turbulence free conditions and practice a few stalls and some forced landings. It was about the best conditions I've ever flown in actually. It felt soooooooooooooooooooo good being flying again, I'm still grinning about it 2 days later.

How did you guys spend your weekend?

Pretty conditions:

Bernard with his Jabiru J170 - Taken just after I finished my pre-flight checks on the Gazelle

Yep, had a fly today, thought it was a good day for a fly and it was, but then I'm on (long) final with the windsock straight out, I've got 105 indicated and 58 knots g/s, with the wind 30 degrees off the nose. Nothing like the pucker factor every now and then.

How did you guys spend your weekend?/quote]

Lucky buggas,

I was tucked up in bed with a chest infection

Had a flight planned to bairnsdale and back on Sunday morning but was too crook 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gifstretcher.gif.b5405e56385022b0c281bce09d6ac829.gif

I did my first training area solo on Saturday and very nice conditions here too. Canola crops are in full flower, and I've always wanted a photo of this from the air, so I made sure I took a camera.....

The mighty metropolis of Wagga Wagga. The jagged hill left of centre near the horizon is The Rock Hill.

IMG_3281.JPG.f9d78b4032570ba24243ec4a6479b4e8.JPG

On climb to 4500

IMG_3283.JPG.b573b9020daf593195093dd080153a61.JPG

Looking North

IMG_3290.JPG.e2c35cb89a7763511a39ce9492c5df6a.JPG

Looking South towards "The Rock"

IMG_3294.JPG.a61648c954c6e843cafd2d71469bc7ef.JPG

...Was my Navs Exam and the CFI sprung a diversion on me as we got to Merriwa on the way back. Instead of going to Scone we had to divert to Singleton... :thumb_up:

Isn't that a coincidence, Don? I got sprung with a diversion to Singleton on my nav exam too. Amazing! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif My fear was that he was going to put me through the restricted area near Dex's place and see if I noticed, but he wasn't that devious. Now it's just a pity you can't fly down to Canberra for the AGM.

Enough thread thievery! Powerin, how many times did you worry on the way back home that you weren't going to find the strip? I still do that, even when I know I'm on the right heading and I'm seeing all the right landmarks. Never bothers me when I'm heading out though? Dunno why. 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Enough thread thievery! Powerin, how many times did you worry on the way back home that you weren't going to find the strip? I still do that, even when I know I'm on the right heading and I'm seeing all the right landmarks. Never bothers me when I'm heading out though? Dunno why. 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Wagga is pretty easy Gnome, the training area is bounded by 5 towns and diagonally across it between Wagga and Coolamon there is a range of hills(behind the wing in the last photo) and a road. And if you really get stuck, The Rock Hill is a very distinctive landmark south west of Wagga that's visible for 50 miles at least. So I have it pretty good.

My main worry was the Cherokee doing T&Gs and realising a couple miles out I was going to arrive downwind at the same place as him. I ended up doing a 360 turn to make space before joining. Then I realised that wasn't so smart as I lost sight of him. But I spotted him again and called that I had him sighted and was joining number 2. Then momentary panic again when a female voice answered (without identifying)! Madly looked around wondering how I had missed a second aircraft....then relief as I realised it was the instructor in the same aircraft.

Good learning experience.

[ATTACH]15102[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]15102[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]15103[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]15104[/ATTACH] Looks like the good weather is shifting south

In Queensland theres a fair bit (a lot) of smoke haze and foggy low stuff .......... out west .................... went Gympie to Rolleston (divert) then Emerald Gympie ................... thursday and friday. Quiet low crap and poor viz in smoke haze - friday it was a better ceiling and viz started improving past Moura on way home

A drop of rain might wash the skies

JM

topped it of with probably the worst circuit and landing I've done in a decathlon and went home as happy as a pig in s##t

I guess it would be tricky flying a nice flat circuit after aeros! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

exciting doesn't half cover it. When you have a nanchang taken off on 06 while everyone else is operating on 30, gliders in the circuit, parachutists and kangaroos and those stupid white birds of the dump...

Never a dull moment at ycab.