Aviation pop rivets

Virago

What type of pop rivets are suitable for recreational aircraft construction? I always understood that dissimilar metals (aluminium rivets and steel stems) could invite corrosion. I welcome discussion on this subject. John.

What type of pop rivets are suitable for recreational aircraft construction? I always understood that dissimilar metals (aluminium rivets and steel stems) could invite corrosion. I welcome discussion on this subject. John.

Hi John, you should use aluminum rivets with aluminum stems. Having used thousands of them I can tell you they don't come cheap.

Thanks guys, appreciate your input! The reason I asked is that I have taken delivery of a kit and on checking, I find all the rivets (yes, all 5000 of them) are aluminium with steel stems. I'll have to asess my options on this one. John.

Thanks guys, appreciate your input! The reason I asked is that I have taken delivery of a kit and on checking, I find all the rivets (yes, all 5000 of them) are aluminium with steel stems. I'll have to asess my options on this one. John.

Read this article http://www.ch601.org/resources/riveted_joints_by_chris_heintz.htm Cheers

Virago,

If you are going to pull 5000 rivets, you are strongly advised to purchase a compressed air rivet gun, possibly from Supercheap Autos or other similar tool suplier.

Also, if the kit manufacturer supplied the rivets, then you are OK to use them. As for aluminium rivets with steel stems, that is the usual make up of both pop rivets and CherryMax rivets.

Old Man Emu

Thanks for this wealth of information! I do have an air driven pop riveter ... I bought that early in the piece. Tonight I called a friend who has completed a similar aircraft. He used steel stem rivets and didn't think it is a problem. I do like fly_tornado's comment about comparative strength too. Everyone's comments are most appreciated! John.

Virago,

I'll second Iggy's comment about PreKote. We are changing over to it from stuff like Aladine because of environmental reasons. Our shop is subject to various items of Federal legislation dealing with airport environments. I source it from Aviall. As a matter of fact I bought a gallon yesterday, I think it sells for about $65 per gallon. You might try Airflite in WA for it. Since it is not classed as "Dangerous Goods", your road freight costs are not inflated.

OME

For brand names... Avex blind (pop) rivets, and Cherry blind (pop) rivets are used a fair bit...

Does anyone know whether Avex and Cherry rivets have steel stems?

What kind of plane are you building Virago?

Steel stem rivets are galvanised as well as much stronger than ali stems. You do need to paint where the stem is broken to stop the rust.

Galvanising introduces a third metal (zinc) in addition to the iron (in the steel stem) and the aluminium (in the rivet). I wonder how this works out with corrosion in the long term?

CherryMax CR3213 Universal (domed) head 5056 Aluminiun sleeve, 8740 Steel stem

CherryMax CR3212 Countersunk head 5056 Aluminiun sleeve, 8740 Steel stem

CherryMax CR3223 Universal head 5056 Aluminium sleeve, 15-7PH Stainless Steel stem

CherryMax CR3253 Countersunk head 5056 Aluminium sleeve, 15-7PH Stainless Steel stem

You can also get Monel, plain and coated sleeves with 15-7PH stems, and Inconel sleeve and stem CherryMaz rivets, but these are rare and really hard to pull.

Can't help you with Avex rivets. If we need to rivet, it's solids first, then CherryMax.

OME

This must be one of the most 'Riveting' posts I have seen on this forum and I'm not trying to be funny (although the pun does fit nicely). That is very useful information and once again shows the value of this forum. Thanks guys.

Alan.

Eightyknots, the kit is a Morgan Sierra 100. I'm only in the very early stages ... RHS frame almost completed ... hope to start on the LHS frame tomorrow. John.

You could have a look at Aircraft Spruce and Speciality web site. It will list a lot of the available rivets and their uses. It will also give a wealth of knowledge about a lot of other things. Also look at AC 43 1B