Prof Avius...

shags_j

Except tha you and I are paying to produce the official RAA magazine and what we are paying for should advance impressionable students who at this point haven't accumulated their own wisdom.

This segment has drawn attention to to us Pud, and more alarmingly to what might be the standard of some instructors

As David 10 says, it is an official organ of the RAAus ( controlling body). I believe what I read reluctantly,, and it doesn't concern me personally. If I don't like it or even disagree with it I, like others will have my say, but the printed word has some fascination for many and a false or misleading view may become accepted as "gospel" and applied all the time when it is only appropriate, some of the time. Students should consider all advice from good sources and only use it when convinced that it all makes sense. .

IF you are flying by rules and numbers only, you are not there. You must know what you are trying to do, How to do it, and what you are achieving, by your actions, and where the boundaries are. This is situational awareness. Beats numbers and rules. They might be relevent at the very early stage.. Nev

• Like 2

I went back and had a look at july's ra-aus (still waiting on octobers) the other day and had a read of avius's column in that.

It was an article on what to do on a student's first solo.... wow. really really useful stuff in there, like making sure a storm isn't about to arrive, or to tell the student to only do one circuit and then do a full stop. I'm sure all ra-aus instructors will be greatful to receive those useful tips that never ever would have occured to them on their own.

I'd really like avius to move away from trying to teach the instructors to suck eggs, and change over to providing advice to the students and pilot certificate holders on things that arn't well covered by the standard study material, and that arn't that common, but are useful to know. After all, the vast majority of the magazine's readers won't be the instructors and its not like he/she is providing anything useful to that audience anyway.

• Like 4

I don't see any useful purpose to the "Prof Avius" material. The primary outcome of the article to someone in the early stages of learning or thinking about learning is nothing other than confusion and misinformation. The sheer number of fantastical illusions that some people (including myself) come up with in the first few lessons always provides amusement and this has just provided one more to throw into the mix.

I very strongly agree that instructors should have a forum for discussions about training techniques and methods however I do not think the RA-Aus magazine is the tool for this discussion to take place. The CFI conference at Safeskies and the consistent growth in attendance numbers is something that RA-Aus should be taking note of very closely. Can't be too hard to organise a couple of day long conference purely for Instructors to get together.

I agree with David10's statement about the magazine's implied authority and can see that a student who has read that article will now have the niggling thought in the back of their head that every landing should be a full-stop.

• Like 4