East to west coast

deadstick

Hi all,

I will be departing on a trip to the west coast, from Nowra to perth and was after som inside info on where to get fuel! I have done the trip with work a couple of times but as you can imagine, helo refueling is a lot easier than finding juice for a rotax. Current plane puts me , Nowra to mildura-Ceduna-forrest, but wanted to know if anyone has used the nullabor truck stops for fuel and what the runways are like?

Hi all,wanted to know if anyone has used the nullabor truck stops for fuel and what the runways are like?

Yes, Nullarbor Roadhouse and Border Village both taxi right to the back of the roadhouse. Premium fuel. Good runways.

JG

Yes, Nullarbor Roadhouse and Border Village both taxi right to the back of the roadhouse. Premium fuel. Good runways.JG

Hi JG

Is avgas available at either of these, please?

kaz

Hi Deadstick, you mention Forest on way there and you need to be aware that it is a long way to Kalgoolie if you follow railway and you can only get fuel if you make contact with the property owner or railway that have a strip, I would recomend following the coast to refuel at Caiguna after Nullabour Roadhouse if you have the ability to carry sufficent fuel, between them there is another good one the Mundrabilla motel but no avgas here but it did have 98 I think, plus accomodation, food reasonably priced and friendly, I stopped for food and bed as I had enough fuel, easy access to taxi to Bowser and plane outside room, Border village I think is a little more expensive but I've never stopped there,. It took me 3.6 hours to go Forrest to Kalgoolie in a C172 at 110knot cruise in very ordinary weather skirting showers nearly turned back so you would need over 6 hours fuel to be safe for a return. I have done 3 crossings 2 coastal and 1 following railway, It's probably better weather alomg railway but remote and long distance, coast is scenic with plenty of airstrips and a long straight road. Good luck hope this helps.

Deadstick, you don't indicate what you are flying, or its range.

Resonable priced Avgas is available at Ceduna at the Eastern end, and Kalgoorlie and Esperence at the Western end. Anything in between you can anticipate at the significantly expensive end of the spectrum, though you will no doubt be pragmatic enought to accept and pay for it. Going West it is best to go full tanks out of Ceduna, and then see what range and the winds open up for options for you. I generally go CDU-CAG which is 435 Nm, and has the advantage of following the highway. Nullabor and Border Village then are possibilities.

CDU-Forrest is 300 Nm, and Forrest-KG is 343 Nm, which is mind numbing following the railroad.

Can remember flying my Airtourer 100 solo East in 2003 for the 25th Anniversary of the Airtourer Association, and was headed to Sydney to connect with my wife, who flown over with Virgin to spend time with family. Following the 360 Nm leg from home to Caiguna, I refuelled, grabbed a steak sandwich and drink, and payed the same as the Virgin airfare to Sydney, and still has 160 Nm to get out of WA!!

The flipside is that you will see some scenery that will reside with you for the rest of your days. It might dent your walllet, but will leave you richer in experience. The experience of flying South of the Nullabor cliffs, and still within gliding distance of the highway, cannot be priced.

Weather can become an issue quite quickly. A moist onshore Southerly can create some interesting conditions. And the Nullabor has experienced one of its wettest winter on record.

We look forward to you reporting your experiences Deadstick. Travel well, and safely.