Adrenalin Rush, BUYER BEWARE

Millie

I was flying home in my Sapphire last Saturday from the Holbrook Fly In and had climbed to 6,500 over the Brindabella Ranges then as I descended to transit below Canberra CTR the joystick almost jumped out of my hand and the Sapphire lurched in the air which somewhat concentrated my attention, not knowing what had happened I carefully explored the three axis of control but all seemed to operate as they should and the Sapphire continued to hum on its merry way (75Knots), I assumed a bird strike or such, imagine my surprise after I landed to find half the fabric on my elevator had torn off.

After removing the elevators I discovered the rest of the fabric peeled off with very little effort, the gluing process had not etched into the fibreglass ribs there was almost no bonding.

Another point I noticed was the fabric did not cover the leading edge it was attached at a point behind the spar (all flying tailplane) which allowed the air flow to enter into the elevator cavity as a section of fabric lifted and pressurise it.

So where is this story going and points to consider

My Sapphire has less than 40 hours TTIS

Built in Kyabram Vic as a home built kit (19-000) rego.

This is not a Sapphire problem but a building defect

Sooooo! Kit built aircraft can have major defects BUYER BEWARE.

be very suspicious of almost brand new homebuilts for sale.

Jees, that was very nearly a catastrophic event in what is a very nice safe aircraft normally. How fortunate it was only half the fabric.

Just out of curiosity, what did the elevator control feel like when you coming in to land with only 50% of the area remaining?

Thanks Dazza so am I

Hello David after the initial hit I couldn't feel any difference in the elevator response, no flutter or abnormal feedback, the Sapphires are very sensitive to elevator and under normal operation very little input is required, also when I landed I had about an 8 knot crosswind which distracted any feedback I may have noticed in the flare.

This is the third Sapphire in my life, the previous had a lot more hours on them, were factory built and both were structurally sound and a joy to fly.

From memory, the Sapphire was the only other 95-10 aircraft to the Thruster that was actually certified. Apparently they are delightful to fly, stable and quite quick. I would love to fly one one day. Is yours 447 powered, because I believe most of the early ones were.

Good to see you made it. I can attest that the air was a tad lumpy and I am wondering if this may have exacerbated the problem. Interesting that you felt no difference in the handling after loosing the fabric. I am glad that you got home ok.

From memory, the Sapphire was the only other 95-10 aircraft to the Thruster that was actually certified. Apparently they are delightful to fly, stable and quite quick. I would love to fly one one day. Is yours 447 powered, because I believe most of the early ones were.

Also the Tyro built by Geoff Eastwood in SA.

Alan.

Hi guys,

Glad you are OK, Millie! Sounds very nasty. Buyer Beware is certainly the name of the game. Impressive that you didn't notice any difference in handling with half an elevator missing though.

It was very lumpy on my way home to Penfield from Holbrook. At one point near Mangalore the bump was so severe I whacked my head on the cockpit ceiling! Ouch! But I avoided the thunderstorms which was the main concern....

It was a good Fly-In - I enjoyed it.

Cheers

Neil

Yes my Sapphire has the Rotax 447, the trip was a little bumpy but not aggressive or bone shaking, either way the fabric should have easily withstood most levels of turbulance I have not heard of fabric (in good order) failing in turbulance.

As I was quite high over tiger territory (Brindabellas) not only was it a lot cooler (insert cold) it was a fair bit smoother.

I imagine the handling would have been affected in more aggressive control inputs, but after the hit I was not about to explore the extreams until I had found the cause.

The average speed for my trip (GPS data) to and from Holbrook (4 hours) including ground work was 72 knots, quite respectable for 40hp at 5,700 RPM 12 l/hr.

I don't think any of these 95:10 aircraft actually went through a certification program like the two seaters. i think it was more like an acceptance of compliance. hence the sticker you have to place in the cockpit.

I don't think any of these 95:10 aircraft actually went through a certification program like the two seaters. i think it was more like an acceptance of compliance. hence the sticker you have to place in the cockpit.

The Tyro definitely did, contact Geoff Eastwood and he will confirm this.

Alan.