What a day!

Tomo

In a rather good way! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Myself and a few mates flew to Archerfield from Tara, had some lunch and caught up with the folks at Flightone, then flew over to Toogoolawah to look at a trike and see some of the action there. Was quite spectacular with SO many chutes around when they come down. 16 or so in one go.

Then we flew back to Tara, and I decided I should take my brothers for a fly.... so I flew over to home and we went for a neat little flight around the neighbourhood.

Was a great day, and lots of fun was had! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Some photos from my phone...

The C206

380952_1630678783622_1736203604_850837_96203737_n.jpg

A diver...

307162_1630675463539_1736203604_850836_20120427_n.jpg

All loaded up

319610_1630365895800_1736203604_850721_732191804_n.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I vaccumed, cleaned the bathroom, did some washing. Ducked down the shops, had a quick bite, oh, then went out to Gawler and took the Jabiru for a quick blast around the circuit, then sat and talked aeroplanes for a hour or so. Came home home via the supermarket, had some tea, now working on some mind-numbing algorithms for image processing until either somebody rings and says 'let's go to a pub and act half our age' or something on TV takes my fancy. I think you had more fun than me. 109_groan.gif.66f71fc85b2fabe1695703d67c904c24.gif

When I went to Fraser last week I heard on the radio the were pushing out 16 chutes each time... Must have a comp coming up?!?!...

Did you have a lot of pax to be plowing around in a C206 Tomo?

More economical ways to see the country IMO...

Guest Maj Millard

Tomo, Did you get to meet any of the McEvoys at Toogoolawah. Dave McEvoy started originally at Caloundra many years ago when it was a single gravel strip and single shed or two. I did some jumps there in the early 70s before Caloundra is what it is now.

All the Mc Evoy family skydive now so it's a big family run center at Toogoolawah. They are also instrumental in running and producing the Australian Skydiving magazine, and have kept it alive in the past on behalf of the Australian Parachute Federation (APF)

Dave was awarded an International Gold Aviation medal last years for his long term efforts in the sport, which I believe was only the second awarded in Australia. If you want to try a tandem Tomo that would be the place to do it. Glad you had a fun day, did you drive that nice 206 ?.........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I think ya boss must be paying ya too much Tomo to be flittin' around in a C206. In my day we we were lucky to scounge enough to get 30 mins in a Cessna 150 every week, even if it was $15 an hour!! Super petrol was 48 cents a gallon, but car still stayed in garage. Beer was $2 a jug, but we stayed thirsty.

Hey tomo, we were doing NAVs past there yesterday, what trike was there?

Macca x 4 are all awesome folks and we jumped together many times over the years, they run the best DZ in oz . I reckon you should get in there with him and their new van and get a turboprop endorsement and do jump work to get some hrs, best a/c in the sky IMHO. watch out for me out there, I'm full time now....

Tomo, Did you get to meet any of the McEvoys at Toogoolawah. Dave McEvoy started originally at Caloundra many years ago when it was a single gravel strip and single shed or two. I did some jumps there in the early 70s before Caloundra is what it is now.All the Mc Evoy family skydive now so it's a big family run center at Toogoolawah. They are also instrumental in running and producing the Australian Skydiving magazine, and have kept it alive in the past on behalf of the Australian Parachute Federation (APF)

Dave was awarded an International Gold Aviation medal last years for his long term efforts in the sport, which I believe was only the second awarded in Australia. If you want to try a tandem Tomo that would be the place to do it. Glad you had a fun day, did you drive that nice 206 ?.........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

remember this?

There once were 10 keen jumpers

feeling kind of drear

took a trip to Kerry

to drink a keg of beer

They all got together and soon began to sing

We are Ramblers Raiders

We're raiders of the sky

We're dirty sons of #####

We'd rather $$ than fly

Or similar

Raider of '79 labertouche I think

Nice 206 Tomo, looks relatively new, it has the new style paint job.What is the hourly rate? I assume you all cost shared and had a bout 6 bums in total.

Yeah it's in pretty good nick, as it's been re-painted and redone as it has killed a pilot I believe when he took off with full left rudder trim and hit a pole and went through a hanger. Not sure about the details, but something like that.

There was only three of us, one was the owner who hasn't finished his GA license yet, so that makes it much more affordable for all concerned.

About time that thing went for a fly Tomo, I bet you have motivated him now to do more of the same himself 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yes it did I think, I showed him through some of the airspace down around Brissy, so he's pretty keen to get back into it now once he found out it isn't that hard!

• Like 1

Hey tomo, we were doing NAVs past there yesterday, what trike was there?Macca x 4 are all awesome folks and we jumped together many times over the years, they run the best DZ in oz . I reckon you should get in there with him and their new van and get a turboprop endorsement and do jump work to get some hrs, best a/c in the sky IMHO. watch out for me out there, I'm full time now....

Didn't take a lot of notice, but it was an Airbourne of sorts. I was to busy looking at the sky divers while the others were doing stuff with the trike. I agree the Caravan are a fun aircraft, been in the right hand front seat for 20 odd hours going places in them.

Guest Maj Millard

Tomo, it sounds like it was the 206 that crashed while taking off at Wrotham Park some years back. I last saw it on a trailer heading South through Ingham. (or what was left of it)

Can't recall the pilot and owners name right now (first name Peter), but he owned the Retra Vision outlet in Weipa, and had a thriving business supplying the various missions on the Cape with all types of electrical appliances.

He got so busy that he operated two P68 Partenavias (IXB and IXC) to transport the gear around, which we maintained in Ingham, for some years.

He would fly them down to Ingham himself sometimes, and spend time in Townsville for a few days.

He bought the 206 down South somewhere, without a pre-purchase inspection, and we decided not to maintain it because it was a bit rough at the time. It wasn't long after that he overnighted at Wrotham Park with his wife and a couple of employees on board.

During the early morning takeoff it appears he mistook a shorter road for the actual dirt strip. (fog ?) There was heavy dew and he may have neglected to clean the windscreen, which may have contributed to the mistake. The road was a bit shorter than the strip, and he ended up taking out a power pole with a wing, and then cartwheeled over a shed.

As I recall he was killed, his wife severly injuried, and one employee also injured.

One of the pilots flying the Partenavias, who was his cheif pilot, got hired at Qantas and started as a B747 1st officer...............Small world Tomo !!.................................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hey Maj, that sounds about it, real sad situation. She's a tidy aircraft now having been rebuilt.

Hi Tomo, is the photo of JJO taken at the Yanco strip?

Hey Chris, no that photo was taken at another mates place at Tara.

But this is a photo of Yanco strip, looking North.

PC12.JPG.f25d970f193fe7f642b2bb446380aaa6.JPG

ah cool, thats an international airport! Been pretty busy at work and home stuff,so havent been out flying much, but hope to get back into it soon.

No worries, been busy myself actually! And doing lots of flying lately, Was in Brissy the other day, then up to Richmond and back... flying at Kingaroy this Friday (Glider towing) and Probably Jondaryan this Sat! But give us a yell when you want to go for a run, I'll make a time to catch up.