Wheel Spats - Are they worth the trouble?

Guest russ.mullins

I think this topic has pretty well dealt with, but will add my 5cents.

Low wing ATEC Zephyr with T tail - spats/fairings probably don't add much to cruise .(Cruise 100-120 knots)

One one memorable occasion, an unseen load of fresh mud on my flaps & my T tail did cause considerable consternation when coming in to land. As I slowed and extended flap the aircraft began to shake. Powered on, retracted flap, shake stopped. Bit shaken myself, I elected to climb to a hopefully safer altitude where we again slowed to pre landing speeds. Found that shake fairly consistent with all three stages of flap, from approach, down to touch down speed. Returned to circuit, landed long, without flap. On exiting aircraft found much glutinous/clay mud stuck to tail and under flaps .At no time during the initial TO or 45 min cruise was the aircrafts behavior unusual. Removal of mud restored good manners.

The experience has taught me to be very cautious about landings on grass/dirt strips, after recent rains - Zephyrs are not 4x4's.

I am a strong advocate for some form of mud/rock/sundry debris protection, be it spats, scrapers or whatever.

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic