Benfit of better plugs EG : br8es or br8eix

Can anyone tell me if there is any gain from using a better quality plug in there aircraft two stroke engines ?

I going to try the BR8EIX in my 582

They are better on my two stroke motor cycles that I have run in the past .

any thougths ?

Doug, my view is that the insulator shorting out is the cause of most failures.

In racing 2-stroke motorcycles, I use the iridium plugs, but in aircraft I would not bother and just change the conventional ones more often. ( Because the points do erode). They are about 1/4 the price. Nev

thank Nev

I been running standard plug or br8ev for some time 11 years in my old 582 but just trying new things as they sound the parts this forum help with sounding and asking questions 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Certainly, and others may give you a contrary view. If you have lots of money it doesn't matter. Sometimes 2-stroke plugs will "whisker". Some engines sem to be more prone to it than others. Try hard to get the correct heat range plug regardless of which type you use. If in doubt use a colder plug and work up. If you undertorque the plug it will run hotter. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Doug, years ago when we ran upside-down 447s and 503s with pull starts and points ignitions we found that the NGK B8EV plugs were the go. Especially if the plugs were oil fouled as you would often get with an upside-down engine. I ran them for 11 years in the 582 Drifter with no dramas. I also feel they gave a cleaner run and a nicer start. I once ran a set out to see how long they would go, and I pulled them at 160 hrs only because I couldn't gap them anymore due wear on the center post. Last time I bought a set they werer about $14 a piece (they used to be $10 for years). They aren't platnum and they aren't irridium, as the box simply says 'a precous metal electrode' so I don't really know what they are. Most bike shops carry them as they are a racing plug. I have also seen them as BR8EV and I have used these also with no difference......................................Cheers Maj....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

The B8ES are a basic plug, you should see some improvement with the B8EV........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif...

I was reading and rereading this thread wondering why and what... still not real sure... I was advised (and rotax endorse) the BR8ES solid top. The key part was the solid top! Are these other options solid tops? Isn't the '8' the heat range: so don't those suggested above all burn the same in that range so the discussion on temp is confusing me 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

056_headset.gif.8e2503279a37389023f4d903d46b667a.gif 060_popcorn.gif.cda9a479d23ee038be1a27e83eb99342.gif

My understanding that the heat range remains the same just a better spark spread and a much longer lasting plug with BR8EIX less chance off fouling not shoure about the soiled top though !

will have to check on that one ?

I used to run B8EV with my old lightwing P 0229 with no problem but that was 5 too 6 years ago now time has gone bye and there should be better options out there just putting questions out there.

I am rebuilding 25 0032 with a blue top 582 going to run a RK 400 clutch oil injection so just trying to get information I can on what new out there !

Cheers

:thumb up:Doug Evans

Do not GAP Iridium Plugs! You use them as is!! I use Denso Iridium on my 582 as they come from the box (Gap = 0.035)

Platinum and Iridium Spark Plugs http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/ignition.php

The initial reason this type of plug was developed was to extend plug life due to US EPA-mandated exhaust emission system low maintenance requirements, not because they offered any improved performance over conventional electrodes. They incorporate electrodes made of harder materials that erode more slowly and consequently don’t need to regapped as often.

The big benefit to having platinum or iridium as an electrode material is that the harder material erodes more slowly and consequently allows you to reduce the size of the center electrode and still have a long-lifetime plug.

But remember, a smaller electrode will initiate an arc at a lower voltage.

Consequently, you should NOT run these plugs at the factory recommended gaps. If your coils and wires are weak then a smaller gap will reduce misfires, but should be applied only as an interim measure.

NGK and Denso pre-gap their Ducati application iridium plugs to 0.035 inch. This should be considered a MINIMUM gap for this kind of plug. Their smaller electrodes fire this larger gap at about the same voltage as a conventional plug fires the factory recommended gap - with one added benefit - a strong spark kernel across a larger plug gap = improved throttle response.

Consequently, dyno testing shows a performance gain with specialty plugs only when their intrinsically lower arc-over voltage has allowed users to increase the plug gap above that possible with conventional steel electrode plugs. Try increasing the gap beyond 0.035 inch for further improvements. You should be able to go to 0.040 inch on a new superbike.

Said another way, platinum or iridium plugs in your Ducati will give you worse performance than a conventional plug unless you use a larger gap than is recommended for the steel electrode plug equivalent.

• Like 1

Thank turbo boss

I have heard that about these plug I have never change the gap in my plane but I have in a turbo car putting out 800 rwhp though but manley use these because they don,t foul as often as the standard type .