JABIRU? FLYING OVER SHERLOCK

flyerme

Hello,Today at 3pm we had what apeared to be a Jabiru flying at around 1500ft above our airfield , It came from Murray Bridge direction (wst heading est) then made a turn and headed back west. Just wondering if any one on here was the pilot? for the record anyone flying in the area welcome any time to fly in ,runway only 900 ft(300mtrs) dirt stip running est/wst, fly in for cupa....take it easy and any info appreciated

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi fylerme, wasn't me 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif bugger! giggle.gif.9fbf2613564ad555277246f6add2d17e.gif But we had a Jabbi do a few "LOWish" circuits of Renmark today about mid morn...........waved like a mad :insane:banshee but not no rocking of wings 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Thanks for your invite to your home strip for hangar chat and cuppa.....................It's not very long tho 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif :yikes:Where's "MARG" and his Light Wing when you need him 066_naughty.gif.fdb194956812c007d0f5d54e3c692757.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif................................or Tomo for that matter in all his STOL A/C poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif..............Fly Safe..........Alley

• Like 1

MOV5D8_0001.jpg.5c14a27fdcd8d1067469f84c562c010c.jpg yeh I thought a jabi might find it a little short, ....on google eath we are the little coner property about 500mtrs wst of town ship you can make out a sandy track running est wst ..thats now the runway..

Note: runway is wide and clearly marked with white markers. and is DIRT,......skinny old runway black ,gravel- no go -over grown and unsevicable and too skinny,

RUNWAY clearly visable

take it easy and watch for me in the air...........

• Like 2

yes,built at goolwa in the 80,s,mine was used for mustering and still had the air horn on it..lol ,full alloy main wings but tended to crack and throw rivets,but handled pretty good.smaller first model(same wing span ,smaller pod.plane.jpg.8097b9834df2c80f893fbb5c4a9057bc.jpg

Hey Flyerme, I think your place would make a nice 'Beginners target' for nav training. I might even try to find it myself the next time I fly. Mind you, using GoogleEarth, I found Sherlock but couldn't find your strip. Where should I be looking? How far out of town are you?

Hey Flyerme, I think your place would make a nice 'Beginners target' for nav training. I might even try to find it myself the next time I fly. Mind you, using GoogleEarth, I found Sherlock but couldn't find your strip. Where should I be looking? How far out of town are you?

ok,if you find sherlock again on google earth our property is easy to spot,.you will see sherlock town, looks like a square of scrub.then to the left west side you can see a triangle property, corner property,dark green with a sandy track running est wst. that track is now the runway (google earth not updated here since 2005). you can,t miss it . NO RADIO PROCEEDURES, IM THE ONLY AIRCRAFT IN AREA, NO TRFFIC PATTERN ,WIND SOCK LOCATED 1/2 WAY BETWEEN FENCE LINE ,ALONG SIDE OFF BTCHUMEN HWY (WHITE), ALSO STH SIDE MIDDLE OF RUNWAY(BLUE) ALSO

10 METERS WEST OF HANGER LARGE ORAGE SOCK. HOPE THAT HELPS

What are powerlines, trees, fences and other obstacles like...? Anything to watch out for? (Im a little too far away so I can't visit any time soon.. but the more info about it the more prepared we can be 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif.)

nothing but paddock wst end,4ft fence 10 mtrs before start of stip. est end needs a slightly higher approach as their is 20-30 ft trees 60 meters before runway (road tree line) and a motor bike jump est end 10 mtre before start runway.no powerlines obsructimg as they run parrallel with runway nth side 200 meters away,runway is typical dirt strip(not smooth but not too roughth2.jpg.10336560ea49ade87798a5a1b9bbc442.jpg note: west end landing again(perferred approach)old tree seen just off left wing tip. is .GONE!!!! will take some better pics today for you guys make it a 100% clear , also plenty of room ech end for run off or ground loop( always too the right.)

MOV5D8_0002.jpg.070a89fdca755af303ebf37e775420f8.jpg

We'll be over for a flypast on Thursday in a Jab 160. Probably around 10:30ish. We won't land but will definately waggle the wings :)

that was awesome....just ask my lil feller, although, im pretty sure my smile was bigger..... you guys made my day..no wait ,,,,make that my week....what a lovely aircraft you fly and how you handle it so well ..

wind was 9-10 notts sth with up to 13knott gusts, I sure as hell would not want to be up thier in my thruster..lol full 90 deg x wind like that would have me 60-70 deg weather cock but your jabi looked to be handling just fine...hmm I may be becoming another jabi fan...lol

thank you so much

take it easy and keep smiling

Tim

• Like 2

Hey Tim, we had a great flight today. Wouldn't believe it with it being hot and windy but it was really smooth over about 1500'. We had a lot of fun buzzing your strip and we're glad you enjoyed viewing our little jab. I reckon we could easily land on your strip but getting off again might be a problem. Jeremy and I weigh about 195Kg between us so we're close to max weight with only a small amount of fuel :)

In the next few weeks we might come for a fly in the Lightwing which will get in and out easily - do we need to give you advance notice? It'll likely be a Monday or Tuesday morning,

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

Hey Tony,yep you guys truely made my day!002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif...... Im here 95% of the time ..so no need for advanced notice, just fly in,,send me a message the night before if you like but not important....

if the winds down you can garentee ill be up there two...can,t miss me Ill be the one hovering at 45 knotts at 500ft above trying to mush my plane to hit 50...lol mush mush ya .......

look forward to it, and thanks again .

take it easy

Tim

(pretty quite out here so visiters wanted but may be captured and forced to sign a revisiting agreement...015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif

• Like 1

No probs Tim. The trip in the Lightwing might take an hour or two (joke) so I know what you mean by low performance!See you soon,

Tony

if you don,t mind me asking ,where did you guys fly from?

Murray bridgeI'm the l2 at Rpa flying school and training to be an instructor.

ah murray bridge,ill be shoping there tomorrow ..done a bit of Jabi flying their in 2005 and 2010 with Mike Chapman. and a lot of plane spotting..lightwing? I watched a lightwing take off last time I was at murray bridge in october last year, think it was after my fav plane the AT-802 which used the grass...wonder if it was you? i commented to the wife on the short takeoff and great climb out he lightwing had.

I think it may have had 2 stroke?

i was keen on the green gazelle in Mikes hanger but couldn't come up with the funds but hoping this Supercat in wellington turns out legit....finding it hard to get info on these lil ag lookin thingies

• 4 weeks later...

G'day Tim. I finally got into the air again and took a trip out to your place

[ATTACH=full]16623[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]16624[/ATTACH]

I buzzed around a bit, did a dummy approach but didn't attempt the land as your strip is far too short for a Jabbie. Do you fly over the village or go to the right of it and around the aerial mast on the corner? That is what I did. Didn't want to wake up the locals by being only 100 over there heads. Mind you, I had to be nimble to align to your main strip though. Are you 'paving' the other one? Gotta say you have some bloody lumpy weather out there mate. Really kept me on my toes.

On the way back to RPA at MB, I added another image to my collection, Talem Bend on the River Murray with Lake Alexandrina in the back-ground.

[ATTACH=full]16625[/ATTACH]

Oh, Thought I ought to mention that you wind socks are hard to see, but at least you have 2.

Oh, and also, PRA (Recreational Pilots Academy) has a Lightwing if you're interested in a TIF and such. Contact James here:

http://www.rpa.net.au/ Nice video included if anyone else is interested.

• Informative 1