Go around goes bad for solo student

Admin

Hang on...

So he bounced so high that he decided he was airborne enought to go around? I mean I've bounced on landing once or twice in training but never that high.

A bounce on landing would surely just require holding back on the stick and letting the aircraft come back to ground. Might be a bit bumpy but trying to take off when you are at landing speed just sounds really strange...

Don't forget the Luscombe is a tail wheel aircraft so the bounce can set up a porposing event with each subsequent 'arrival' being more severe then the preceeding one. Could be best to go around in such a situation - it certainly is in a Thruster as I can attest to!!!

Pud

I must admit I'm not very knowledgable on tailwheels but in the tricycle gear instructors have always taught that if you bounce just hold back on the stick and fly the aircraft to the end.

Pud has explained it well.Best to go around after the 2nd bounce.Generally in a TW.

My taildragger endorsement was in an Auster and I can assure you each bounce is higher than the preceding one until you are left at ten or fifteen feet with no airspeed! The only safe way to handle it was to apply power early either to smooth out the bounce or go around. My first solo in the Auster took three circuits before I got it safely back on the ground. The Pawnee was a cake walk after the Auster! John.

Oops!! He probably would have been okay if there wasn't any hangers in the way!

If in doubt, power it out... power is your friend if you stuff a landing.

Guest Howard Hughes
If in doubt, power it out... power is your friend if you stuff a landing.

I hope by this you mean go-around!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Baulked approaches, missed approaches, go-arounds... You are never prepared! If anything is going to bite you in aviation, this is it!ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

Oops!! He probably would have been okay if there wasn't any hangers in the way!If in doubt, power it out... power is your friend if you stuff a landing.

Tomo, Tomo, thou shalt write out a 100 times the following:

"Hangars house aeroplanes, hangers keep clothes off the floor."

Tomo, Tomo, thou shalt write out a 100 times the following:"Hangars house aeroplanes, hangers keep clothes off the floor."

Oh dear, what a dramatic gramme... grammar issue! 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif