Amberly...

redozbris

Howdy all...

On the Brisbane VTC Down the Bottom Left is a small airport called amberly... some of you might have visited it .. some may not have... Quetion for you all, I am pretty sure i know the answer, and there is no such thing as a stupid question, There is a second pie shaped ring at 20nm (and one out further at 30nm) from Amberley (20nm AMP ARP) Is this controlled airspace when the ctr is active? My money says yes, but for us unitiated types, the red lines mean military on the vtc, but the red line with the small hairs on it (hey, I'm descriptive) dont seem to be in the legend..

Just want to make sure, to me it means that Coominya/Forest Hill etc inside the 20nm and that inside the 30nm chunk means that they are off limits, plus all the restricted areas etc....

Just curious, The one time I've been down there I checked on NAIPS before heading to make sure all the R62X's areas where de-activated, and checked the ersa...

thank you ladies and gents...

Hey!

Yep in the 20nm ring it's a restricted area when they are active, unless under 1500ft which is only a Danger area. In the 30nm ring R620D doesn't apply till 4500. These area's aren't always active, but most week days they are, worth checking the NOTAMS or call up Bris Center to check.

You get spoilt when you fly through there often with a clearance, and forget about all those that can't! ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

• Like 1

Amberly is a military airbase.

The Royal Australian Air Force's RAAF Base Amberley is our largest base, employing over 3500 people. It is 40kms south-west of Brisbane on the outskirts of Ipswich. A large number of units call Amberley home:

[*]Health Services Wing

• 1 Expeditionary Health Squadron

• Health Operational Conversion Unit

[*]Reserve Training Wing

[*]No 44 Wing Detachment Amberley - air traffic control

[*]No 82 Wing - strike and reconnaissance

[*]No 36 Squadron - C-17 Globemaster heavy transport aircraft

[*]No 33 Squadon - KC-30A Multi-Role Tanker Transport

[*]No 87 Squadron - photography

[*]No 278 Squadron - flight simulator and technical training

[*]No 1 Airfield Operations Support Squadron - airfield engineering

[*]RAAF Security and Fire School - security, fire-fighting and military working dog training

Guest Howard Hughes
Whenever I get nearby I bug Brisbane Centre to double check if its active or not, just was very curious! Thanks all!

You can always listen out on the ATIS Frequency if you have an ADF (359), this will tell you if it's active or not. Then whilst operating in the area, make sure you are on CTAF frequency (which should be the Tower frequency 118.3), should it become active at anytime they will announce on that frequency normally as "Amberley airspace and associate resticted areas will become active at time XX", or words to that effect.

Cheers, HH.

You can always listen out on the ATIS Frequency if you have an ADF (359)

Yeah indeed, why they don't have the ATIS on a VH frequency is beyond me. I haven't flown a RAA plane with an ADF yet! Oaky has ATIS on 124.3 from memory.

• Agree 1

Yeah indeed, why they don't have the ATIS on a VH frequency is beyond me. I haven't flown a RAA plane with an ADF yet! Oaky has ATIS on 124.3 from memory.

Try this number 07 53613581 (ATIS by phone)

Try this number 07 53613581 (ATIS by phone)

Thanks Kiwi, I've got that in my phone, but I reckon it would just make more sense to have it on a VH frequency too! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Like 1

Hey!Yep in the 20nm ring it's a restricted area when they are active, unless under 1500ft which is only a Danger area. In the 30nm ring R620D doesn't apply till 4500. These area's aren't always active, but most week days they are, worth checking the NOTAMS or call up Bris Center to check.

You get spoilt when you fly through there often with a clearance, and forget about all those that can't! ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

Oh well, we get spoilt with our low flying costs instead...na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Starnge that it isn't on VH Freq...

Even some that are can't be accessed by older VHF's because of tighter channel spacing or being outside the ordinary range of frequencies or frequency spacings for most of us.

My old ICOM A200 is more than due for an upgrade and I'm saving my pennies so this can occur.

kaz

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
Hi All,This morning I found Amberley ATIS on 123.3

Nothing in ERSA yet.

Kiwi

Hi All,

I found Amberley ATIS on 123.3 working again, I don't know if it is here to stay...... I hope it is.

Kiwi