Logbooks? Just the one or many?

Hi all,

Just had a quick question regarding logbooks and what people on here choose to do.

Do people who have flown/currently fly GA types keep a separate GA logbook? Or is it the normal thing to do to keep them both in the one logbook because they are both use for logging hours in powered and most of the time single engine aircraft. I have read on the forums somewhere that people often keep gliding logbooks which is understandable to separate powered and non powered.

I ask this because I will be moving to Armidale soon for uni, and so will be having a long break from training. So in order to keep somewhat current in knowing how to fly and also on the radio I figure I might take one or two flights with the GA flight school in Armidale, they only operate Piper Warriors, a C210 and a Supercub so nothing on the RAA register (So far as I know there is nothing on the RAA register in Armidale at all, not that I saw anyway) and I was wondering whether I should get a second logbook to split the GA time into (Granted that I will get a PPL some time down the track)

Thanks.

No Jake, a GA school tried to get me to get a seperate book.Long story, but I started GA only about 3 hours in GA.Then went AUF got my certificate, then went back to GA.My Log book has a mixture of both (not GA for along time).Anyway I said nah thanks, Ultralight hours count. Having said that, it can be a pain in the backside as RAA ask for GA hours flown and RAA hours flown.Doesnt effect me ATM as I dont fly GA.But if you fly both, you will have to seperate.Not realy a problem though.I make a mark in my log book against my last entry I have given the RAA at last renewal. So that in a years time I can look at the mark ,then count the new hours I have flown since.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply, will stick with the one then. I also keep a spreadsheet with all my hours in it just as a backup incase something were to happen to my logbook (A bit overkill with only around 11 hours I know... but why not) so I could probably add a formula in there that displays totals in RAA and GA.

You get a new log book when the last one is full up. If there is a question of separating some categories of flying from others , do a summary every 6 months and use that as a basis of responding to whatever hours you have done over the last period under consideration. The log book is supposed to be a true record of what your aviation experience is . Nev

• Like 4

I've got my main logbook which I put RAA and GA stuff into.

Gliding Logbook is a separate one for me - it's laid out a bit different as there are a few more things of interest and items to add.

• Like 1

Guest davidh10

Depending on the logbook type, have you got a spare column you can use to log GA hours. Not only does it identify GA from RA, but also allows you to easily total per page.

As I don't fly GA, the situation does not arise currently, however I use a spare column to log formation flying hours. There's several other columns I could use for other purposes if the need arose... Multi-engine, IFR, Night, 2nd in command, rotary wing.

I've got my main logbook which I put RAA and GA stuff into.Gliding Logbook is a separate one for me - it's laid out a bit different as there are a few more things of interest and items to add.

Me too! Over 700 forced landings in the first but none in the second.... YET

kaz

• Like 1

I use blue pen for GA and black for RA and keep a running total of GA (dual and solo) in pencil at the bottom of each page and rule off on 31st October for RA (Total hours and Total - GA =RA hours).

Col 050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

Guest rocketdriver

FWIW, I separated my GA and (then) Ultralight logs years ago and have never regretted the decision ... much easier to keep track of it all. (I already had a gliding and a hang gliding log book and I have also made up a spreadsheet which records each category separately and then totals them all. Overkill, but I like it!)

cheers

RD