Open cockpit flying in faster aircraft

Just curious as to what its like to fly open cockpit style in a sapphire or vampire? i have flown a sapphire before but with a full canopy, and as the vampire is approved for fight with the canopy off, i am just want to know what its like to fly at 85 kts with the canopy off? is it excessively windy? will i need a helmet? or just a warm jacket?

Guest danda

I went flying in my javelin during a locust plague about 2 years ago and those things hit me like little missiles and did they hurt.

After landing I was spiting out bits and pices for some time didn't take me long to make a screen for the javelin.

Don:yuk:

I have flown the Corby Starlet at 100kts with the canopy open once. That was just to see what it was like. No problems in our climate but it would be a bit cool in the South. I really ought to remove the canopy completely and just have the screen in front and it would be good, but have to be careful with the headset, and maps could get blown away. at 100kts.

Guest Ross_Paine

You'll need a full face helmet, a neck guard (the skiing type like an endless scarf), motor cycle gloves and wind proof jacket, the freezer suits they use in cold rooms are really good. Open cockpit is awesome, but you need a lot of gear.

Guest Fred Bear

Nothing like open-cockpit flight but I only usually do it at 50kts!! Still, in winter that can be c c c cold :confused: A good helmet and/or goggles and freezer suit would be good. The flight suit I have is good (see Drifter thread) but for the warmer sort of months. The freezer flight suit I have I used to use in my Thruster but it leaves not much room to move two-up and makes you kind of look like Michelin man. :)

I am surprised to hear that the Vampire is approved for open cockpit flight!

DO NOT DO IT!

With the canopy removed, the airflow over the windscreen causes a stong low pressure within the cockpit which, after removing all loose objects within and feeding through the proppellor, then starts to suck all engine gases and exhaust up through the floor and control stick hole!

I remember watching the company pilot test flying with a new insulated exhaust which began to smoldedr and fill the cockpit with smoke.

After a hasty 180 and down wind landing, he openned the canopy during the landing roll and promply disappeared in the smoke, like something from the Keystone cops!

Arthur.

yep, according to the flight manual the aircraft is approved for canopy off flight, and talking to the previous owner, he has flown for numerous hours with the canopy off, and seeing as winter is approaching, i dont think ill be trying it any time soon.

On similar matters mentioned by Arthur. How does the Sapphire go with the problems you mentioned? of exhaust grasses entering the cockpit?

involved in the production of vampires?

Yes, I worked for SKYWISE, which was the company building the Sadler Vampires.

I only worked there for a year and a half, but saw some of the final developments in the SV-2, 447 Vampire.

As for difference between a Sapphire and Vampire, the Sapphire motor is mounted outside of the body shell containing the pilot, with the exhaust hanging out in the breeze.

The Vampire has both the engine and the exhaust within the same body shell that the pilot sits in.

In earlier models the cooling air from the engine exited within the cowl and was expected to be drawn out via a combination of the ram / high pressure air from the underwing inlets, and the low pressure created around the aft section of the body shell.

The net result was supposed to be a static pressure within the cabin area that could then be controlled via the 'snap' vents in the canopy, forward for fresh cool air, or backward for wramer air drawn from the engine bay!

Remeber to keep your CO detectors up to date!

Later models had an exhaust stack built onto the cooling shrouds to dump the hot air overboard which helped in creating a lower pressure with the engine compartment, lessening the amount of air that could be drawn into the cabin, but at higher angles of attack, the low pressure created over the windscreen edge could start to pull engine air into the cabin.

Remember, CO is odourless, if you think you can smell exhaust, it may be too late!!

Arthur.

Thanks for that, you might have built mine! serial number 008, could the rear panel behind the seat be modified in the way of form in place seals around the access door, and other areas sealed to prevent gasses coming in? the hardest bit would be sealing the control stick assy area especially as the whole lot swings from side to side.....

the CO detector that came in the aircraft showed no sign of CO'2 but a new one has been installed..

Hi All

For those wanting to try an open cockpit simulator try riding a motorbike for about 10 or 20 km at 100 km/hr in the winter in southern NSW then add the summer bugs like bees and grasshoppers.

Then add possible small birds and the odd wedge tailed eagle known to attack gliders with about eight times the wing span of the eagle. Check out the mashed insects on the wings and canopies of low flying aircraft.

I'm with David.

But open cockpit flying would be a great thrill at relatively low speeds.

Regards

There are a few places that need to be sealed in the cabin.

Obviously around the stick, but also the flap/throttle quadrant.

Just sealing the stick may not work as the cabin floor stops just short of the rudder pedals and the tunnel beneath opens forward of that.

These things can all be done, but in the end I think the novelty wil quickly wear off after the cold, noise, buffetting and the first time you lose something out through the prop!

And don't think it wouldn't be something expensive like a headset!!

Don't look over the side.

Arthur.

Guest Fred Bear
Check out the mashed insects on the wings and canopies of low flying aircraft

Ross, I'm still getting the bugs out of my teeth and eyes from yesterdays flying :ah_oh:

Don't look over the side.

Unfortunatly once im all strapped in, looking over the side is not real easy, cant even lean forward enough to look back at the gear!

either is adjusting the altimeter subscale and radio...

might actually have to move the panel and radio mount forward a few inches!

Just ask any Trike pilot, or I suppose Drifter pilot or similar would do too.

It is a buzz flying in the open air at anything up to about 60kts, if you want to go much quicker, just look at the size of the windscreens fitted to faster trikes like Pegasus GT450 and Quik. After market touring screens are also popular on XTS-912's in the cooler climates/months.

And taking a look over the side is one of the things I enjoy about triking - you can really see the gap between you and the ground rather than just believing what your altimeter tells you.

Cheers,

Glen

Guest Fred Bear

Strangely enough though Glen you always get the feeling of being safe (well I do) and not the feeling that you are at some dreadful height and are going to fall to your death.

I do have a couple of pre-requisites for that safe feeling though - thorough pre-flight check and the snug feeling of the seat belt around my waist. The seat belt is all that more important when flying in an open cockpit, since it's the only thing that stops you making an unexpected exit when some nasty turbulence rears its ugly head.

Cheers,

Glen