Changes to Licensing Regs to allow higher AUW aircraft?

wags

I haven't the time to read through all posts to see if this subject has been broadcast earlier. If it has I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Received the statement below as part of a newsletter put out by the Women's Pilots Association. If there is any truth to it we will all be able to fly around in aircraft up to 1500 kgs... or am I missing something?

I also read into it that CASA are going to make changes to our current licensing regulations... or once again have I missed something?

"I’ve been busy working on the General Aviation Task Force and we have been conducting some industry visits. Recently we were in Sydney, visiting operators at Bankstown and Camden to discuss the matters being considered by the Task Force and seek feedback. It is anticipated that the Driver’s Licence Medical option for some private operations will be out soon, it may be as soon as late February 2012. Pilots with an unconditional driver’s licence can visit their GP every two years (up to 65), and every year from 65, for a driver’s licence medical. They can then log onto the CASA site to register. Pilots flying on this medical will be able to fly single engine piston aircraft up to 1500kg (4 seaters), day VFR, with one passenger, and a restriction on aerobatics. Some restrictions (such as aerobatics and the limit of one passenger) will be removed if an appropriately qualified pilot who holds a Class 2 or higher medical occupies a control seat. The proposal is in keeping with the medical requirements for the Recreational Pilot Licence which will be implemented with Part 61 (licensing), most likely towards the end of 2013."

• Like 1

At the risk of getting flamed, I think this will be the best move in recreational flying, both GA and Raa-Aus, that could have happenned to reinvent the sport. It has been discussed but this update is very welcome.

I'm with robinsm on this one. The more options available the more people we'll have in the air doing what we all love!

I think it's more of an amendment to the GA licencing regs rather than the RA-Aus regs so rather than a weight increase for RA-Aus aircraft, it's an option for GA licenced pilots to fly GA aircraft in a restricted way. Seems a very sensible half-way point between the unrestricted GA licence and (what some people see as) the 'heavily restricted' RA-Aus licence.

• Like 1

It HAS been covered earlier, but don't worry. If it goes on a bit maybe a link to the previous posts might be worthwhile.

As far as this is concerned it is a good move and should have happened years ago. (Better Late than NEVER)

I think the initiative was mainly from the SAAA. It's realistic and wanted. The delay may have caued a few to give it up where they wouldn't have done that, if they had known where it was going.

People invest a lot of time money and effort in various ways in aviation, and a bit of certainty wouldn't go astray. Nev

I thought perhaps it helped that CASA now has a couple of Sport Aviating Savvy ex-Tech managers too... Are they involved?

I doubt it Don, this was well under way by our colleagues at SAAA. Great effort and lobbying on their part.

It is way overdue. An RPL has been available in NZ since 8 May 2008. The only difference is that the MCTOW is 2000kg in NZ. Anyone who has a PPL, CPL or ATPL that has not expired by 1/9/1990 can get one. All they have to do is show their drivers licence & do a BFR.

• Like 1

Australia sure is a big country. If you overlay Continental USA and Australia (we have to leave out Alaska and Tasmania for this to be true), then Australia is some 29,000 sq miles (=75,000 sq kmtrs) biger than the USA. Which is like a nat's nut in the overall scheme of things. Which has nothing to do with the topic of course. Other than, for a country this size with less people in it than the USA has in its biggest city, we're not doing too bad folks... We're not doing too bad at all... And we don't need to follow anybody... We do however, need to know what we want, and then go get it...

• Like 1