Propeller Balancing

pudestcon

So, here I am way out in the sticks and I want to balance my propeller to ensure it is right, and not shaking my aircraft to bits. How do I go about doing that?

What would you do? What I'm looking for is something I can do myself.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot - it's a 3 blade Brolga

Pud

First of all it is a good idea to always carry some 5 minute Araldite and also a prop hub bolt spanner. Remove the prop and since you are in 'the sticks' grab one of them (about the diameter of a broom handle) place the stick through the centre of the hub and add the araldite to the tips as necessary. If there are no sticks nearby use the neck of a drink bottle.

If you are not able to execute the above, telephone Nev for advice.067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Alan.

Pud, I know nothing about it but remember reading an article in the online EAA magazine (Oct 2011). You'll find it here. It's a simple homemade rig for a 2 blade wooden prop. Not sure if/how it would work for a 3 blade but it might give you some ideas.

First of all it is a good idea to always carry some 5 minute Araldite and also a prop hub bolt spanner. Remove the prop and since you are in 'the sticks' grab one of them (about the diameter of a broom handle) place the stick through the centre of the hub and add the araldite to the tips as necessary. If there are no sticks nearby use the neck of a drink bottle.If you are not able to execute the above, telephone Nev for advice.067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Alan.

Thank you for your input Alan, especially the last sentence eh?

Pud

Pud, I know nothing about it but remember reading an article in the online EAA magazine (Oct 2011). You'll find it here. It's a simple homemade rig for a 2 blade wooden prop. Not sure if/how it would work for a 3 blade but it might give you some ideas.

I just knew you would have something practical to contribute Pow - not sure if I could get it to work with a 3 blader. Now I'm not saying your advice is not practical Guernsey, so don't take this the wrong way now:amazon:

I did find a device you can turn up on a lathe, on EAA, it is called "Sensitive Static Prop Balancer". Go to http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/articles/2009-11_howto_props.asp to check it out.

I just need a lathe expert to help me out - might contact Pommy John eh Riley?

Pud

Thank you for your input Alan, especially the last sentence eh?Pud

Mr Pudestcon.

A slight drift off thread but, before we resolve any propellor imbalance situation first we need to sort out an obvious nationality problem!

Viz: - Australians (especially banana-benders) finish off a statement with the conjunction "But" .

- Canadians on the other hand usually finish off a statement with the query "Eh"?

Given that you were definitely OZ at the time of our last meeting, I insist that you desist in your purloining of the canuck bastardization of english grammar!!!

Now onto prop balancing. I do have a two-blade prop balancer (upgrade from the EAA one that Powerin referenced) available to anyone here in the West who needs it but for lack of any better process, I took my three blades down to the local post office with a can of spray paint and got the lovely lady to match weigh them as I sprayed up the tips of the lighter ones. It's a small country PO and she (not being overly busy at the time) was quite intrigued with the process. As regards Pommie John - Hell (much to his accountant's dismay) he'll happily look at doing anything aviation rather than earning some money by actually manufacturing a saleable product in the factory. Let's put it on him. Cheers

Mr Pudestcon was in fact using the correct language for the person he was writing to namely me, coz he was using our Guernsey expressions eh?

Cor damme me, it's that some people don't know how we talk in Guernsey eh?

Alan the Guernsey Donkey.

While you two are debating the pros and cons of language and how she is spoke, I'm just gonna continue bastardising anything I can lay my tongue to.

I might go and visit our mutual friend when I get some time Riley, I owe him for his Thruster doors so I'll lay it on him then - might need some backup though:wink:

Pud

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done anything about the prop balancer yet but over the weekend I thought I'd check how the blades were tracking on my 3 blade brolga. 2 blades track very close to identical but the third blade is tracking approx 9mm to the rear of the other 2. Is that to be concerned about? I don't notice any particular vibrations except at slow idle when the Rotax jumps around a bit - smooths out at 2200 revs or a little more though. Idle on the 582s should be 2200 anyway.

Pud

Haven't done anything about the prop balancer yet but over the weekend I thought I'd check how the blades were tracking on my 3 blade brolga. 2 blades track very close to identical but the third blade is tracking approx 9mm to the rear of the other 2. Is that to be concerned about? I don't notice any particular vibrations except at slow idle when the Rotax jumps around a bit - smooths out at 2200 revs or a little more though. Idle on the 582s should be 2200 anyway.Pud

Pud

Despite that you have no noticeable operational vibrations with your dipsy doodle Brolga blade, a 9mm variance in tracking is quite a bit outside normally acceptable limits and can't be doing any good. Generally speaking, blade tips should track within about 3mm. I'd suggest a bit of time be expended in fine tuning that miscreant - even if it doesn't feel bad at present, you'll feel good about having done it. Cheers

PudDespite that you have no noticeable operational vibrations with your dipsy doodle Brolga blade, a 9mm variance in tracking is quite a bit outside normally acceptable limits and can't be doing any good. Generally speaking, blade tips should track within about 3mm. I'd suggest a bit of time be expended in fine tuning that miscreant - even if it doesn't feel bad at present, you'll feel good about having done it. Cheers

OK, I've got a 25 hourly to be done next time I'm at the hangar so it will be done then.

Thanks Riley, I appreciate your advice.

Pud

Now I know I've seen an article on adjusting propeller blade tracking but I can't seem to find it. I've done a search here but came up with a blank. Any ideas? I'll try the prop manufacturers website.

Pud

• 2 weeks later...

hey Pud,I had to re balance my 3 blade brolga after loosing a coner piece,I did it by removing prop,fitting a piece of tube that fit snug threw the prop center hole than sat the ends of tube on 2 level stands and watched which way it tured, lift it up to rotate ech position,,take it easy,still pullinh my hair out with ths supercrap ,,ah I mean cat

hey Pud,I had to re balance my 3 blade brolga after loosing a coner piece,I did it by removing prop,fitting a piece of tube that fit snug threw the prop center hole than sat the ends of tube on 2 level stands and watched which way it tured, lift it up to rotate ech position,,take it easy,still pullinh my hair out with ths supercrap ,,ah I mean cat

Thanks for that flyerme. I may give that method a go.

I've been watching your thread regarding the Supercat. Pretty soon, through a process of elimination you will have it purring like a kit..., er cat... errr Supercat. Yeah, that's it, a Supercat purring.

Pud

• Like 1

Now I know I've seen an article on adjusting propeller blade tracking but I can't seem to find it. I've done a search here but came up with a blank. Any ideas? I'll try the prop manufacturers website.Pud

Hey Pud

Was wondering if you found out any info on how to fix the tracking issue I also have a 3 blade brolga on a drifter with the same issue, two blades are spot on to each other and the other one is out about 6-7mm. There does not seem to be any adjustment in them anywhere??

Cheers

Jamie

also ment to mention to add wieght to a blade (or repir chips etc) use super glue and bi-carb soda (baking powder) its the same wieght and stength as plastic/carbon fibre,aso if need a lot of wight use paint..

Hey PudWas wondering if you found out any info on how to fix the tracking issue I also have a 3 blade brolga on a drifter with the same issue, two blades are spot on to each other and the other one is out about 6-7mm. There does not seem to be any adjustment in them anywhere??

Cheers

Jamie

I haven't been to the hangar yet Bacon, going there this weekend. I'll be checking the torque on the bolts to see if that is the problem. I have found the same thing re lack of adjustment, and very little information on this type of propeller - even from the supplier (who doesn't supply these anymore) who doesn't reply to my communications via email or phone, oe enquiries via their web page.

I'll report back after the weekend.

Pud

also ment to mention to add wieght to a blade (or repir chips etc) use super glue and bi-carb soda (baking powder) its the same wieght and stength as plastic/carbon fibre,aso if need a lot of wight use paint..

Yep, read about the super glue and bi-carb soda, amongst other methods as well.

Cheers,

Pud

If you have a black prop (carbon fibre) use super glue and graphite powder.Alan.

I'm hoping it will be so close I'll just need a couple of passes with a spray can of clear lacquer. We'll see....

Pud