Another HUMAN FACTORS thread

Hola amigos,

Going to aim to take the HF exam (RAA) in the next couple of weeks - thought I would start up another thread on this rather than resurrect the many older ones which seem to be from a few years ago when it was first introduced as a requirement (with much debate about its validity, format, etc).

I have the ATC books, in the BAK volume there is a section on HF - is that sufficient for the test? I'm out of Bankstown (for now) - is there a course anyone recommends? I've heard alot of people say its common sense and just "give it a go" - which I may yet do, but then again there are people that say there are alot of arbitrary concepts and phrases apparently designed for the purpose of having you memorise arbitrary concepts and phrases lol.

Thoughts?

I briefly read through one of the HF textbooks and also a presentation given by my Instructor, the exam itself is easy, but the main thing I got out of it was to think about the Nut behind the stick/yolk, and how much trouble he/she can get you into if you don't think about theses things and make silly decisions, yes it is mostly common sense but it prompted me to read more into it, and always keep it on your mind. You will most likely pass easily but I would learns as much about it as you can - can't hurt. I guess that applies to all the theory in general.

I used the Dyson-Holland study guide which was developed specifically for RA aus. Reading the book was fairly heavy going, although the exam itself is fairly easy. The best part of the book was the sample questions!

People do say common sense is what you need to pass the HF exam which is definately true but i promise you will learn a fair bit too. For me human factors was really enjoyable and i got alot out of it. I did the theory then sat the exam at the end of the day so i didn't do any studying prior to the course. I bought the Dyson Holland book after i did the course to add to my collection and is a pretty informative guide and i recommend it.

Anyway, good luck with it all

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks RKW and everyone - passed today! Whew, another step in the right direction! There were a few questions that were very vaguely worded, and probably could have been argued either way, but its a pass and I'll take it... Next step, BAK!!