What radio and headsets are you using in open cockpit

bacon

Hi guys

I'm looking to upgrade my radio in my drifter, and buy a new headset/ helmet. Was wanting to know what everyone else uses to try and decide what will be the best for me.

Thanks

Bacon

Hi Bacon l have micro air radio and gentex helmets works good l battle with wind noise when talking to passenger i need more shielding..

Hi Bacon l have micro air radio and gentex helmets works good l battle with wind noise when talking to passenger i need more shielding..

Hi sky fox

Is the micro air radio a portable or one of the lil dash mounted ones? Sounds like a flash set up for a drifter I like it.

Cheers

Bacon

G'day

I use an Aerial Persuits helmet and intercom. Wayne Fisher fitted it before I picked up my Drifter. I find with the full face mask and beard I get next to no wind noise in the helmet. I am also 6'4'' so my head is always in the airflow. I find with a passenger on board, as long the microphone is tucked up above the foam on the beard, I get little wind noise through the intercom. I have attached a picture of my daughter, Sabre, flying over Holbrook to show the type of helmet.393022846_SabresHelimet.thumb.JPG.94bc2a8c5eca0ffdd79d0d7b20a9f661.JPG

Guest Andys@coffs

I used Aerial pursuit headphones and helmets and Microair in my trike. The headphones had an Active Noise Reduction module fitted but I found that any ANR benefit was undone by the constantly open mike. In the end I added a small toggle switch to the headphone shell that tunred mic on or off. I'd leave it on in the circuit area and off when away from the field. doing that made an enourmous difference and the benefit of the ANR module could then be fully appreciated.

The headphones are a bit agricultural, but I have to say do the job admirably for an aircraft that doesnt exceed 55kts straight and level. The helmets have a beard fitted (after market) but without any foam. without the beard the old chin and nose could suffer in winter....

Andy

Guest Crezzi

The helmet in BlueDrifters photo is an Icaro which are very widely used in Aus. Besides the well-known risk of the visor detaching if the screws aren't kept tight there is also a recent mandatory service bulletin - http://www.airborne.com.au/images/aw_directives/SB-012%20Issue1.pdf . I've had a passengers helmet (not this brand) go through the prop & its not an experience I would recommend.

For an open cockpit intercom I've recently been using one from http://www.flycom.co.uk/ with an Icom handheld and I'm very impressed with both the performance and value for money.

John

I get pretty good results in my trike with a Microair M760 (P-Series with built in intercom) wired straight out to a pair of GA sockets. I use Flightcom GA headsets under my Icaro trike helmet, leather Mike muffs help a lot but are very difficult to get as they're always sold out and I'll be looking for more at Temora this week.

Using a Icom A24 hand held radio as well. See you at Natfly.

Was just wondering if you still have to use an external aerial with the icom A24, just looking at it on website and it looks like it comes with a pretty big aerial.

Thanks everyone for there replies im starting to get a few ideas of which way I might go would love the micro air with built in intercom, but pretty expensive

G'day Bacon,

My Icom radio uses an external antenna mounted in front of the kingpost. It is also using power from the aircraft supply. I have had no issues with this install. I get next to no engine noise and have good reception.

Seeya

G'day Bacon,

I suppose my T500 Thruster with no doors qualifies as an open cockpit, albeit with a fair bit of protecting from the wind:super hero:

I have a Vertex Standard VXA 300 radio connected to a Pilot Avionics PA 200 intercom. I plug the Recreational Flying 250 headsets into the intercom - works a treat with everything powered from its own internal batteries. The radio has 18 hours between charges and I've replaced the intercom battery once in 25 hours of flying. The antenna is mounted halfway back towards the empennage on the fuselage boom. Everything except the antenna was purchased from the shop here. I'm happy with the setup, can certainly receive transmissions from a long way away - about 130 nm so far. Not sure about how far the radio will transmit though.

Pud

G'day Bacon,I suppose my T500 Thruster with no doors qualifies as an open cockpit, albeit with a fair bit of protecting from the wind:super hero:

I have a Vertex Standard VXA 300 radio connected to a Pilot Avionics PA 200 intercom. I plug the Recreational Flying 250 headsets into the intercom - works a treat with everything powered from its own internal batteries. The radio has 18 hours between charges and I've replaced the intercom battery once in 25 hours of flying. The antenna is mounted halfway back towards the empennage on the fuselage boom. Everything except the antenna was purchased from the shop here. I'm happy with the setup, can certainly receive transmissions from a long way away - about 130 nm so far. Not sure about how far the radio will transmit though.

Pud

Hey pud

Yeah it qualifies I think!! Just wondering where abouts you bought the antenna and Coax cable from

Cheers

Bacon

Thanks pud

I'm thinking I might go with a icom so I don't have too rely on battery's. Can anyone tell me what aerial connection icom have on there radios, the one I have at the moment is Bnc, can you buy adapters for them relatively easy?

Thanks

Thanks pudI'm thinking I might go with a icom so I don't have too rely on battery's. Can anyone tell me what aerial connection icom have on there radios, the one I have at the moment is Bnc, can you buy adapters for them relatively easy?

Thanks

ICOM panel mounts have BNC connectors...............011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Do you know if the hand helds are the same??

My Vertex is a screw in connection so I ordered an adaptor when I purchased the radio as the antenna lead was BNC. As skyfox1 has mentioned, adaptors are easy to acquire from Jaycar and other similar outlets.

Pud