Elderly woman lands plane in emergency.

This elderly woman did well under under the crcumstances.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8446369/elderly-woman-lands-plane-during-emergency

Well done! to the pilot also who assisted her.

Many years ago Schofields Flying Club used to run a one day course for spouses and partners, to give them a few basics to help in such a situation. They probably still do from time to time.

May her husband rest in peace.

• Like 2

This elderly woman did well under under the crcumstances.http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8446369/elderly-woman-lands-plane-during-emergency

Well done! to the pilot also who assisted her.

Many years ago Schofields Flying Club used to run a one day course for spouses and partners, to give them a few basics to help in such a situation. They probably still do from time to time.

May her husband rest in peace.

This is a great story pd. I think what Schofields Flying Club did was eminently sensible and this should be encouraged around the Rec Flying community!

[i lived in Sco'ees (Schofields) for fifteen years. It's such a shame they decided to close the aerodrome. It's irreversible now: they are about to build a big shopping centre on part of it]

• 2 weeks later...

This is something that I have often thought about.

Think it may be worth sitting down with the Mrs and give her some advice.

At least the basics that she needs to know that the radio would be her lifeline. This weekend she will be flying with me and I will advise her the basics on how to use the radio.

• Like 1

When I had my Beech Sundowner, I had my (then) wife taught to land it. I used to watch her doing landings and she was quite good at it. I could never get her to do a landing when I was flying but I'm sure she would have got down safely if I had been incapacitated. She was taught to land from the RH seat of course. When I upgraded to the Beech Debonair, she wasn't prepared to learn to land that but I'm sure she would have managed with some appropriate instruction. John.