PPL flying an RA-registered '28' craft - restrictions?

boingk

Hey there guys, just a quick question as I've got varying answers on this in the past.

What I'd like to ask is what restrictions (if any) are placed on a PPL flying an RA-registered craft? Obviously you need an RA conversion and cannot exceed 10,000ft in altitude, but other than that can you fly it much like you'd fly a GA craft as regards controlled airspace etc?

Cheers - boingk

You have to be a paid up member and have some form of pilot certificate. Controlled airspace is confined to some aerodromes during training. No commercial activity (bar training), no IFR, NVFR or aerobatics. I ( informed pax only at a one time) Confirm this before acting fully on it There is a website. All the contact details are on the second page of the magazine." Sport Pilot".. Nev

My understanding is if the pilot has a ppl and ra cert AND the ra reg aircraft is properly equipped eg transponder and certified engine then the pilot can exercise the privileges of his ppl including cta. Is that not right?

• Like 1

My understanding is if the pilot has a ppl and ra cert AND the ra reg aircraft is properly equipped eg transponder and certified engine then the pilot can exercise the privileges of his ppl including cta. Is that not right?

Yes that's correct.

Thankg guys, and yes Nev I'm aware of training limitations. However the training area I have learnt in at YGLB is in no way 'controlled airspace' - I may have had limitations on distance and height etc but it was Class G airspace. Otherwise I completely agree with you in regards to no commercial activity, IFR etc.

My understanding is if the pilot has a ppl and ra cert AND the ra reg aircraft is properly equipped eg transponder and certified engine then the pilot can exercise the privileges of his ppl including cta.

See, thats what I thought. It sure makes sense anyway.

Cheers - boingk

• Like 1

There's some restrictions about flying over a populous area, ( height and gliding distance etc). A lot of this has been reviewed and I don't think the general direction is to relax regs ( more the opposite). So check and be sure. Nev

No worries, and yes I am well versed on the minimum height over populated areas - I often have to start descent over Goulburn town before joining circuit at YGLB and will not descend below 1500ft AGL before clearing the town and adjacent freeway. I believe actual the wording is something like 'not below 1000ft AGL and able to glide clear of any structure'.

Thanks again guys - boingk

I believe that RAA aircraft are now more restricted than GA. Steve Bell was able to give concessions but he is not there and the ability to grant them was removed, anyhow, There is currently some concern that it will restrict GA if some interpretations are applied. IF you are an AOPA member ring them and by all means contact RAAus OPs manager. I can't give a definative answer. Nev

Spot on!

The word is approved engine not certified. Aircraft that can enter CTA

Must have approved engine and this includes Rotax 2 strokes.

• Like 1

Be careful guys, it is not any RA Aus registered aircraft properly equipped; it is restricted to 24, 25 or 28 (I think) registered aircraft, certainly not 10 and 19 Registered.

Camel is correct, you can even build and register a 2 stroke Drifter in the VH experimental category and do aeros and fly anywhere your PPL allows.

Guest Crezzi
Be careful guys, it is not any RA Aus registered aircraft properly equipped; it is restricted to 24, 25 or 28 (I think) registered aircraft, certainly not 10 and 19 Registered.

95.32 also

Be careful guys, it is not any RA Aus registered aircraft properly equipped; it is restricted to 24, 25 or 28 (I think) registered aircraft, certainly not 10 and 19 Registered.Camel is correct, you can even build and register a 2 stroke Drifter in the VH experimental category and do aeros and fly anywhere your PPL allows.

Approval from RAA was given to individual cases applying for exemption and approved, several 19 Rego homebuilds have exemptions. Apparently it has stopped.

Cheers guys, and yeah the beastie I'm looking at has a Continental A65 fitted so no worries there.

It does not, however, currently have a transponder - how big of a deal would it be to have it fitted with one?

Cheers - boingk

Guest Andys@coffs

If you search these forums for transponders and ADSB you'll find a bunch of info that may make you more informed in the transponder buying activity.....For example, anyone buying a transponder today would be well advised to enquire if it can handle the mode S extended squitter pulses. Not all trasponders can which then infers time for a new one or an expensive upgrade if and when ADSB gets the nod. The Microair transponder for example required an upgrade to cope with the ADSB interogation transmissions. If you were to look down that path a new one, or one that is known to have the mod would be required IMHO or the 2nd hand pricing needs to reflect that you have more $$ to spend.

Andy

At this point in time an older one wouldn't be worth considersation. Prices keep coming down and weight and current drain, also. It has to meet all the latest requirements. You need shielding in fabric aircraft. Nev

No electrics Louis,

But my LAME has found me an original wing mounted generator that I am about to fit, as I am about to fit a proper radio rather than using the Aviation handset sitting in a pouch with a battery pack that came with the aircraft.

Thanks for the info guys, and no there isn't a charging system installed on the craft. The VHF draws power from a 7Ah gell-cell behind the seat which periodically needs recharging, or I'd assume can be kept topped up via a simple 12v solar panel on the rear shelf.

One craft I'm looking at is a Carden GY-201 Minicab currently registered 28-0825, previously registered VH-ULH. Total time 900 hours with engine (A65-8) rebuilt 200 hours ago.

Cheers - boingk

There are rebuilds and there are rebuilds. The old Continentals are economical and reliable and quite lovely really, but some have been around for a while now. If it has only done 900 hours that's good but you should check the condition of the engine as far as sludge, camshaft lobes , valve stems (exhausts) and cylinder bores for corrosion . The sump can easily be removed on the later ones and cleaned and I think the early ones are similar. Nev