Considering building my own...

Hey guys, just thinking lately it might be nice to have my own aircraft. I've made a post or two around the place and have decided against buying my own and using it for obtaining my CPL rating. Besides having to do the 200hr course I would also be up for hangaring fees etc.

What I am currently thinking of is building something fairly simple along the lines of an SD1 Minisport - smallish, reasonable cruise speed (70kt+) and room for an overnight bag are my main asks. MTOW would be aimed around the 300kg mark. I would most likely class it under 95.10 unless somone could recommend a better category. Configuration would most likely be basic low wing monoplane.

I have no idea on construction method and am toying with the traditional wood methods but also metal trussed frame and wooden/foam wings. Either way I'd like it simple and 'fast' to build - doesn't have to look pretty but must be sound. I have a garage and a reasonable selection of tools and know how to use them.

For the engine I was thinking a Briggs & Stratton 23hp unit; reasons being readily available, good aftermarket support and relatively low price. Drive would be direct.

If anyone has any advice or plans they could point me to that'd be great. I am also toying with the idea of designing it myself based on a few designs I've studied so far.

Cheers - boingk

For the engine I was thinking a Briggs & Stratton 23hp unit; reasons being readily available, good aftermarket support and relatively low price. Drive would be direct.

Great job on wanting to build your own Boingk. Look forward to finding out what you decide upon.

I am not sure about the B&S engine though, 23hp is not a lot to get you in the air, others on here will have a lot mor info about that though!!!

If your looking for a quick to build aircraft I think you would need to go for a fast build kit, otherwise it is going to take time to complete the project!

Louis - The Stratton is a reasonably popular choice in the states and I am fairly familiar with the type. I'm basing my possible choice on that and the fact that spares are readily available and they're unlikely to stop production anytime soon. 23hp is fine so long as you stay light - see the Briggs powering an SD1 Minisport here:

Another design I've considered is the Icon/TEAM MiniMax, a very small and simple craft designed to be powered with engines under 50hp. The MiniMax and Eagle are both quite high drag planes, though, so would need modifying for use with a 23hp engine.

fly_tornado - Haven't heard of or considered one, no mate. Can you give me a few pointers like manufacturer or a link?

Cheers - boingk

Robert - thanks for the link mate, seems like a good online community for the little planes. I'm dead keen to build something but am still tossing and turning between designing my own, building from a plan, and even tube construction vs wooden.

Eventually I listed all the pros and cons and decided that I will most likely go with a metal tube truss-style fuselage, ala the 'Legal Eagle'. One factor in this choice is that I can already weld reasonably well, and there is a metal merchant literally 2 blocks from my house where I could easily obtain 4130 chrome moly tubing.

The wings will most likely have a wooden or wooden/foam construction as it seems to be reasonably easy to fabricate and source materials for. At this stage the idea is for styrofoam ribs, 1mm marine ply skin and the spar itself - undecided on material for it but I suppose I could put either wooden or metal in.

Essentially, I'm looking at making this in a fairly short period and then trailering to the local aerodrome for final assembly and taxi/flight testing. Budget is maybe $10,000 over a few years, or as little as $5~7k over one year if I can scrounge and get good enough deals.

Loius - I think it draws from Leeon Davis' DA-5 as it looks very similar. Performance would be on par if you upped the horsepower, too.

Cheers - boingk

Boingk

Small HP is ok if you keep it light and its in keeping with the design. Another of Leon Davis's designs, the DA-11 I think it was, had a 18 HP engine. There is a video of this on youtube - it certainly gets up and goes. Sadly the designer passed away before plans could be developed and sold.

Another design to consider (which I like) is the Teenie 2. All metal, VW powered (50-65hp), and reportedly quick to build even from plans. Around 12000 sets of plans were sold. There is a yahoo group with lots of resources - files/pics etc.

Yeah thats what I'm aiming at, moz - my craft to be small light and efficient. Not a superspeedster (although that would be nice) but at least a 60~70kt cruise.

I know about the DA-11 and am fairly keen on it, but it was designed for a pilot no more than 170lb and 5'10"... I'm 200lb and 6'2"!

Cheers - boingk

Still weighing up whether or not to go wood or metal. Thinking metal still but investigating wood a bit more.

Have been looking around and ragwing.net offers some good plans. Working from their drawings, they look like they'd be easy enough to convert to polystyrene rib, ply covered wings around the main spar(s). This is as opposed to built-up wooden ribs and fabric covering. Main spar construction looks basic enough with 3/4~1" caps with 1.5~3mm ply web depending on weight of the aircraft. Working around that I'd be able to make a single fairly light and strong spar with 1" square caps and 3mm ply web, then string polystyrene webs along it and cover the lot with ply (0.8~1.5mm) to form the structure of the wing.

Obviously thats a fair leap from the original built-up rib design but thats whats flying the SD-1 Minisport (albeit with lighter composite spar) so its at least got a proven track record:

I'm also leaning more towards the VW engine conversion as they're easy to pickup & convert and have a proven record. Upside is that they have more power as well (60~65hp) so would allow for a 'less minimal' aircraft design. Not neccessarily one that would carry a passenger but certainly more accomodating for a pilot plus generous fuel and luggage.

Anyway, just throwing a few ideas around.

Cheers - boingk

eventually you will find the tornado is a good option.fast, mostly aluminium, manufacturer in business, cheap to buy, no welding, fast to build.

The VW engine build can be a bit hit and miss, when you hang a prop off a car engine you put a bit of stress on the crank which it wasn't designed to do.

That's true. The drive is a big compromise unless you spend big money. ( Bearings supporting and coupling) Check the HP figures available at the revs your prop does. I think some of them are optimistic.. Nev

fly_tornado - I'm sure it is a good option, but at the moment its also outside of my price range. Apart from that I do not favour the look of it, and surely having a personal aircraft is as much about the feeling it gives you as anything else? I sure know my car and motorcycles work that way, regardless of there being better 'real world' alternatives. Still, thanks for the link mate and happy flying.

Nev - Yeah I know its a big compromise, but at the same time if I didn't want to compromise I'd also be looking at flying a much more sophisticated aircraft such as a Zodiac or Cheetah. Essentially I'm looking at having a project for a year or two to keep me busy, with something along the lines of this being the end result:

Thats a Ragwing 'Parasol' (75% scale Peitenpol Camper) fitted with a Continental A-40. Sure, not a VW conversion but it'd definitely be doable. I could always go down the Rotax/Hirth/etc path and fit a 40~50hp two-stroke but I'd personally be much more comfortable with some sort of four-cycle out there. I've done my two-stroke stuff time on motorcycles and don't particularly want one in an aircraft.

- boingk

Hey Boingk, just took a 2 stroke from Goulburn to Cameron Corner in the Xair and back again with no problems at all. 26hrs flying time over 6 days. Don't write 2 strokes off just yet.

The 582 is 65hp by the way.

eventually you will find the tornado is a good option.fast, mostly aluminium, manufacturer in business, cheap to buy, no welding, fast to build.The VW engine build can be a bit hit and miss, when you hang a prop off a car engine you put a bit of stress on the crank which it wasn't designed to do.

F-T, do you own a I, II, S or SS Tornado? (As you can see, I have had a good look at the Titan website via the link you supplied~thanks).

Ah, fair enough. Was going to ask that question myself but you beat me to it eightyknots!

I'm currently asking about plans for the Karasport, another smallish Peitenpol Air Camper kind of airplane thats very similar (if not identical) to the Ragwing Parasol. Basic wooden construction, overhead parasol wing, taildragger fuse and open cockpit. Recommended 20~50hp, I'd most likely try and go to the upper end of that scale for best cruise speed and climb performance.

- boingk